Suggestion for a Useful Product

In summary, your technique involves modifying a surface to create a product that is commercially or environmentally important.
masyousaf1
Dear Member and Experts.

We are doing a theoretical study. Kindly suggest me any Useful Product that has the probability to form with detachment of functional groups (Preferably -OH, -COOH, epoxy etc) from a surface to any reactant in environment such as H2, N2, H2O etc. or with gases such as NH3, CO etc. Kindly suggest a realistic reaction along with functional groups on the surface of the solid.
Many Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you clarify what you mean by "Useful product"?

thanks for following this. Actually I am studying Grafting of a surface. We can use a theoretical technique that is able to pinpoint and precisely remove a functional group without effecting other functional groups. So to signify the importance of our technique we want to replace a functional group on a surface that will react with a reactant (may be in environment) to yield a useful product (may be formic acid, any commercial product). Don't have much understanding of chemistry and functional groups. Kindly suggest any other idea that can signify the importance of our technique.

For and example : if we remove the -H group from a surface in the presence of Cl2 then it will form HCl and the remaining Cl can be attached with the surface. Kindly suggest a simple surface, functional group resulting in a useful product that is Commercially or environmentally important (e.g., may capture CO2 )

Honestly, what you are asking for doesn't make much sense to me. The surface area is limited, so the other product can't be made in huge quantities. I think you got it reversed - it would make sense to try your technique to modify the surface to modify its properties. Then, the useful product will be the surface itself (for example some kind of ion exchanging resin), and the other low molecular mass molecule would be a byproduct.

Likes masyousaf1
Thanks for the Reply. Sir, you are right. Larger quantities can not be made. So, I modify my question now. Any important case (simpler is proffered) where surface modification is required ?.

I already suggested looking into preparation of ion exchanging resins.

Sorry for my poor understanding. Please specify how I can utilize an ion exchange resin ? I am asking this after some search.

Look for the ways of making such a resin - perhaps it can be prepared by modifying surface of some other resin.

thanks for the guidance

Look into Atomic Layer Deposition - it sounds like your technique is very related to the synthesis of thin films, most closely related to ALD. If you need materials or technology, look at materials and/or technology that is made using ALD, and then go from there.

Likes masyousaf1

What is a suggestion for a useful product?

A suggestion for a useful product is a recommendation for a new or improved product that can solve a problem or fulfill a need for consumers.

How can I come up with a suggestion for a useful product?

You can come up with a suggestion for a useful product by identifying a problem or need in the market, conducting research to understand the target audience and their preferences, and brainstorming ideas for a product that can address the identified problem or need.

What factors should I consider when suggesting a useful product?

When suggesting a useful product, you should consider the target audience, their needs and preferences, the feasibility of the product, potential competitors, and market demand.

What makes a suggestion for a useful product stand out?

A suggestion for a useful product stands out when it offers a unique solution to a common problem, has a strong value proposition, and has the potential to be profitable in the market.

What is the importance of user feedback when suggesting a useful product?

User feedback is crucial when suggesting a useful product as it helps in understanding the needs and preferences of the target audience, identifying potential issues with the product, and making necessary improvements to ensure its success in the market.