1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Suggestion for a proof-based math text book for high school

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1
    I am currently teaching the pure mathematics II component of A-level mathematics which consist of the following subjects: Logarithmic/exponential functions, trigonometry, differentiation, integration (including integration by parts, and trig substitution), numerical approximation of roots of a function, vectors, differential equations, complex numbers.

My student asked me for a math book which goes through the proof of some of the properties, identities, equations and theorems or it's origin discussed in class. I often go through proofs in class, but the book that we use hardly ever have proofs.

Do you have any suggestion for a proof-based math book suitable for a curious, and above average high school math student.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Lang - Basic mathematics is exactly what you're looking for.

4. Oct 23, 2015 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For more depth and detail, have you looked at the calculus books by Spivak and Apostol?

5. Nov 16, 2015 #4
    Maybe Axler, "Pre-calculus"? I found it better than Lang's Basic Mathematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted