Suggestion for stickied thread in Science Book Forum

• Thread starter Petek
  • Start date
In summary, the OP suggests the creation of a thread on the Science Book Discussion forum, which would then be stickied. He is all for it, but is worried about potential copyright violations. He recommends sites that contain free and legal downloads of science and math books. Two sites that he is familiar with are FreeBookCentre.net and e-booksdirectory.com (science subsection). He sometimes directs other members to these sites.
Petek
Gold Member
I'd like to suggest the creation of a thread in the Science Book Discussion forum, which would then be stickied. I know of two sites that contain free and legal downloads of science and math books. They are FreeBookCentre.net and e-booksdirectory.com (science subsection). I'm only familiar with the math books on these sites. Most appear to be high in quality, written by professional mathematicians. Some are exact copies of published works for which the author received permission to post online. I sometimes direct other members to these sites. It would be convenient to simply have a thread on your site to point to.

If this idea has merit, I'll volunteer to create a new thread, which could then be stickied by a mod. Or, if you want to preview my post, I could post the proposed text here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm for it if we can get some more member nominations for this. Also try to dig up a few more good resources. thanks!

I'm all for it. These are some great mathematics references! Maybe make a stickied thread such that all members are allowed to add their own sites with free books? Because there are much more good sites out there!

I'm for it. And thus, my vote is cast.

i'll take any help i can get.

micromass said:
I'm all for it. These are some great mathematics references! Maybe make a stickied thread such that all members are allowed to add their own sites with free books? Because there are much more good sites out there!
I would be against allowing *anyone* to post a link to "free downloads" due to copyright violation. I just had to delete a spammer that linked to sites with illegal free downloads.

I've only checked one site the OP listed and only checked two books, and they were legally available through a "Creative Commons license", even though they are copyrighted books. Unfortunately, the site did not provide the necessary link to CC, I had to trace them from different sources. I'm assuming the site is using CC or similarly licensed books.

I suppose you're right, Evo. We shouldn't of course list sites that have potential copyright violations. But there are a lot of sites out there that just link to lecture notes and would potentially be good.

For example, http://hbpms.blogspot.com/ is a site I link to a lot, it contains links to good places and good (legal) books. It are these kind of sites that I'd like to see links to.

Don't know about the sites of the OP though, the first sites looks legit, but I do have some doubts about the second site that he lists...

Evo said:
I would be against allowing *anyone* to post a link to "free downloads" due to copyright violation. I just had to delete a spammer that linked to sites with illegal free downloads.

micromass said:
I suppose you're right, Evo. We shouldn't of course list sites that have potential copyright violations.

I believe the Sticky is a good idea but wonder if PMing a mentor with the "book link" so they could check it out would be something the mentor would want to take on with all their other "duties".

Well, I wouldn't want to link to any sites that might be problematic. If a mod wishes to delete the links in my first post, please feel free to do so.

Petek said:
Well, I wouldn't want to link to any sites that might be problematic. If a mod wishes to delete the links in my first post, please feel free to do so.
Your links are great, much appreciated!

Can you set it so that a certain number of posts are required before you can put links in that thread? That should eliminate link spammers.

What is a stickied thread in the Science Book Forum?

A stickied thread is a forum discussion that has been "pinned" or made permanently visible at the top of the forum board. This ensures that the thread stays easily accessible and visible to all users, even as new threads are added to the forum.

Why is a stickied thread necessary in the Science Book Forum?

A stickied thread is useful in the Science Book Forum because it allows for important information, announcements, or frequently asked questions to be easily accessible to all users. It can also help to keep the forum organized and prevent repetitive posts.

Who decides what content should be included in the stickied thread?

Typically, the moderators or administrators of the forum are responsible for deciding what content should be included in the stickied thread. They may consult with other members of the forum or take suggestions from users, but ultimately, they have the final say.

Can anyone contribute to the stickied thread in the Science Book Forum?

Usually, only moderators or administrators have the ability to create or edit stickied threads. However, users can contribute by suggesting content or asking questions that they believe should be included in the stickied thread.

How often should the content in the stickied thread be updated?

The frequency of updates to the stickied thread depends on the forum's policies and the relevance of the information. Generally, it is a good idea to update the content regularly, especially if there are new announcements or important information that needs to be shared with forum users.