Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions/tutorial to build clock-like lazy susan?

1. May 19, 2016 #1
    I'd like to build a simple turntable using a lazy susan and a bunch of spokes (anywhere from 245-360) so that I can rotate the lazy susan one notch at a time and take a photo of an object sitting on tip of it. The goal is to hold a camera steady on a tripod and rotate the object.

Can anyone suggest materials to use to set this up without manually having to go in and split a circle in 250 parts and hand-drive 250 nails into the wheel?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Get a large gear with the right number of teeth and glue it to the lazy susan, then put just one bendy mail into the base plate as a catch.

Is it necessary that they are accurate within a low tolerance? What if you just drew out 360 radial lines in pencil and manually moved the base? If you were looking to animate it, it's not like a deviation of a 1/2 degree in one frame will be noticeable.

4. May 19, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stepper motor and a bit of DIY electronics is easiest way .

Otherwise :

(a) Use standard dividing engine methods - worm and wheel with index plate .

(b) Put an index scale on rim of turntable . Two methods:

Use a length of tape measure to make a loop and adjust diameter of turntable so that loop just fits over .
    or
    Print out a scale with suitable divisions on your printer (probably in sections) and fit as for tape measure loop . Alternatively fit as segments on the flat .

5. May 19, 2016 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah. Worm gear would work well. It can subdivide the increments of the larger gear into a fraction of a tooth.

Unless you say so, I don't think it needs to be automated.

6. May 19, 2016 #5
    Thanks for the suggestion. No, it doesn't need to be automated, and DaveC426913, it doesn't have to be mechanically precise. I just wanted something that has roughly even increments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted