Summer Cal 1: Good Idea? Take with Writing Course?

• Thread starter Mista Jay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, taking calc 1 during the summer is not a bad idea as long as the student is adequately prepared. There is not too much work to take a writing course (technical writing) along with it.
Mista Jay
I am planning to take cal 1 during the next summer semester. I just wanted to know if 1) it is a bad idea to have something like cal taken at a fast pace and 2) will there be to much work to take a writing course(technical writing) a long with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calc 1 is the most important class you will ever take in your life as a physics major, you should be in no rush to get through it. Does that mean the summer class is bad? I don't know, that all depends.

I took calc I over the summer with a Mexican lady who could hardly speak English. Calc I is not that hard as long as you've got a fairly solid basis in algebra and know a little trig. I passed with a B, and I think my math skills are more than sufficient for my major (engineering). Your mileage may vary as a physics major.

I took it during the summer last year with zero problems whatsoever. Unless its one of those accelerated like 6 week or something classes then I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was about the same length as a normal semester except we met 3 times a week instead of 2 to offset the slightly shorter run.

My professor was extremely slow though, spending an obscene amounts of time just on limits. As a consequence we didnt get as far through as some other classes thought the part we missed overlapped with calc 2 so no problems there.

I love summer and I've never had a problem with the faster pace. I've taken Calc 1, Computer science,philosophy and am now taking circuit analysis.

[Unless its one of those accelerated like 6 week or something classes then I wouldn't worry about it.

And as an addendum to my previous post, my class was five weeks. I still survived. And I'm not really a math wiz...

Oh, and we only skipped two sections out of about thirty five.

Good I feel better now. Thankyou everyone

Related to Summer Cal 1: Good Idea? Take with Writing Course?

1. Is taking Summer Cal 1 a good idea?

It depends on your individual circumstances. If you have a busy schedule during the regular academic year or need to catch up on credits, then taking Summer Cal 1 may be a good idea. It can also be beneficial to take a challenging course like calculus in a condensed format, as you can focus on the material more intensely.

2. Will taking Summer Cal 1 affect my GPA?

Yes, the grade you receive in Summer Cal 1 will impact your overall GPA. This is something to consider if you are taking the course to fulfill a prerequisite for a major or graduate program.

3. Should I also take a Writing course during the summer?

It depends on your goals and priorities. If you need to fulfill a writing requirement or improve your writing skills, taking a writing course alongside Summer Cal 1 may be beneficial. However, if you want to focus solely on calculus, it may be better to take the writing course during the regular academic year.

4. Can I handle the workload of Summer Cal 1 and a Writing course?

This will depend on your individual capabilities and time management skills. Summer courses are typically more intensive, so it's important to consider how much time and effort you can realistically dedicate to both courses. It may be helpful to consult with an academic advisor before making a decision.

5. Are there any benefits to taking Summer Cal 1 with a Writing course?

Yes, there are potential benefits to taking both courses during the summer. It can allow you to complete two courses in a shorter amount of time, freeing up your schedule for other courses or activities during the regular academic year. It can also be a good opportunity to improve your time management and study skills.