Summer course selection question

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking two challenging courses, general physics II (calc based intro to E&M) and calculus III (multivariable), concurrently over the same summer session. The speaker, a mechanical/nuclear engineering student, has a good academic record and believes it can be manageable. The session dates are longer than usual, and the courses are considered enjoyable and useful for engineering students. Another speaker also shares their experience of taking similar courses together and reassures that it is doable as long as one is committed to putting in the time and effort. However, it is mentioned that if the individual struggled in physics I, they may want to reconsider taking both courses at the same time.
anonymity
Is it a bad idea to take general physics II (calc based intro to E&M) and calculus III (multivariable) concurrently over the same summer session?

I am a relatively good student. Last semester I had a 3.8 GPA (A in calculus I) and this semester I have an A- in calculus II.The session dates are as follows:
Physics + Physics Lab: 05/23/2011 - 08/19/2011
Calculus: 06/13/2011 - 08/05/2011

ie: they are a little longer than the typical summer session, about 3 months.

edit:

oh, by the way, I am a mechanical/nuclear engineering student, not a physics major.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a problem with it, I did the same thing a couple of semeters ago, both classes are enjoyable; calc III is especially a lot of fun, and more useful if you cover basic vector analysis (div, grad, curl, etc). Go for it.

I had a similar set-up a few semesters ago, and it was very easy to manage. Go for it.

It's easy to manage if you're willing to commit the time to it.

I'm doing Calc3, Physics 2, and ODE together right now and its not a problem. Although a summer schedule will be a bit more fast paced I don't think it'll be a problem.

How'd you do in physics 1, if you had a lot of trouble there then I might be wary. You seem to have no problem in calc though (I'm the same way, made As in Calc I/II and III is not a problem).

1. What is a summer course selection question?

A summer course selection question is a question asked by students about the process of selecting and enrolling in courses for the summer term. This could include questions about course offerings, registration procedures, and deadlines.

2. When do I need to select my summer courses?

The specific dates for summer course selection may vary depending on your school or institution. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the school's academic calendar to determine the exact deadlines for course selection.

3. How do I know which summer courses to take?

The courses you should take during the summer term will depend on a variety of factors, including your academic goals, degree requirements, and personal interests. It is important to consult with your academic advisor or department to determine the best course options for you.

4. Can I take summer courses at a different institution?

Many schools have partnerships or agreements with other institutions that allow students to take courses at different schools and transfer the credits back to their home institution. It is important to check with your school's policies and procedures for transferring credits from other institutions.

5. Are summer courses more intense than regular courses?

Summer courses are typically condensed versions of regular semester courses, meaning they cover the same material in a shorter period of time. This can make them more intense and fast-paced, so it is important to plan your schedule accordingly and manage your workload effectively.