Summer project at top US/European university

In summary, the speaker is a 1st year student at IIT Bombay and is looking to do a summer project at a top US/European university. They can fund their travel, stay, and food using their savings and are eager to work with top physicists to gain research experience. Despite emailing professors, they have only received one reply and are seeking advice on how to increase their chances of getting this opportunity. The speaker also shares their impressive scores and rank in various exams. They are open to considering research institutes as well.
arpit2agrawal
I'm 1st year student of masters in physics at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay. I'm looking forward to do 2016 summer project at some top US/European university. I can fund my travel, stay & food using my savings. I just want to work with top physicists and gain good research experience. I've already started emailing professors, but hardly getting any reply. Would anyone suggest how can I get this opportunity?

My scores:
940 out of 990 in Physics Subject GRE
800 out of 800 in GRE Quantitative
105 out of 120 in TOEFL iBT
8.0 out of 9.0 in IELTS
6th All India Rank (AIR) in IIT entrance exam (JAM)

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
arpit2agrawal said:
I've already started emailing professors, but hardly getting any reply.
What are you sending them? A good mail should give at least some response from most.
Apart from universities, did you consider research institutes as well? They often have summer student programs.

Thanks for replying. I forwarded you email I'm sending. I sent to 10 professors and got reply from just one. I'm continuing to contact more though.

1. What is a summer project at a top US/European university?

A summer project at a top US/European university is a research opportunity for undergraduate or graduate students to work on a specific scientific project under the supervision of a faculty member or a research team. The project can range from laboratory experiments to data analysis and can be in any field of science, such as biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering.

2. How do I apply for a summer project at a top US/European university?

The application process for a summer project at a top US/European university varies among institutions. Typically, you will need to submit an application form, a resume or CV, an official transcript, and letters of recommendation. Some universities may also require a personal statement or a research proposal. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions and deadlines provided by the university.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a summer project at a top US/European university?

Participating in a summer project at a top US/European university can provide numerous benefits. It allows you to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest, work closely with experienced researchers, and develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. It also looks impressive on your resume and can help you stand out when applying for graduate school or future job opportunities.

4. Is there any financial support available for summer projects at top US/European universities?

Many universities offer financial support for summer projects, including stipends, housing, and travel expenses. Some programs also offer scholarships or grants for students with financial need. It is recommended to check with the university or the specific program you are interested in to see what types of financial support are available and how to apply for them.

5. Can international students participate in summer projects at top US/European universities?

Yes, international students are often welcome to participate in summer projects at top US/European universities. However, it is important to check with the university or program about their specific policies and requirements for international students. Some universities may have additional application materials or visa requirements for international students, so it is best to plan ahead and start the application process early.