Superposition - is the theory valid?

In summary: The superposition principle is one of the most tested principles in physics, and it underlies the entire physical description of semiconductors and metals, and hence all electronics. It is an essential part of chemistry, and it is essential in understanding nuclear binding energy, and how the nucleus forms. If it is wrong, we have to throw away the best tested physical principles we have, and what is left? Do we have to re-write general relativity?In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of electron superposition and its recent overturning due to measurement errors. However, the speaker is unable to find any sources to support this claim. They also mention a belief that electrons fly like orbs and planets in orbits, which the other person disputes
Svenns
Hello
My friend claims that the theory of electron superposition has been overturned recently. That this was due to measurement errors, and that electrons fly like orbs and planets in orbits, but I can not find any sources.
I am asking for an answer, thank you very much.
(I'm sorry, I have no Idea what's going about with prefix)

Physics news on Phys.org
Svenns said:
Hello
My friend claims that the theory of electron superposition has been overturned recently. That this was due to measurement errors, and that electrons fly like orbs and planets in orbits, but I can not find any sources.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Without some references or links, it will be hard to answer your question. Can you ask your friend where s/he read it? If it's in a pop-sci article, we probably can't discuss it here unless there is a peer-reviewed article that the pop-sci article is based on...

Likes Svenns
OK
I'll try ask him tonight

Likes berkeman
Svenns said:
Hello

One thing has nothing to do with the other, i.e. "electron superposition" and "electrons fly like orbs and planets in orbits". Your friend (and possibly you) are confused.

The fact that we have electron diffraction experiments and electron interference experiments are clear illustrations of quantum superposition. Tell your friend that!

Zz.

Likes bhobba, vanhees71 and berkeman
Svenns said:
...electrons fly like orbs and planets in orbits...

And a comment in passing: electrons in an atom are nothing like "orbs" (or little planets), and do not travel in anything like an "orbit".

ZapperZ said:
The fact that we have electron diffraction experiments and electron interference experiments are clear illustrations of quantum superposition. Tell your friend that!
Zz.
It's even applied in electron microscopes!

Svenns said:
and that electrons fly like orbs and planets in orbits, but I can not find any sources.
No, instead there is a probability to find electrons around the nucleus, look up Atomic Orbital

Every experiment of which I am aware (and in fairness there will be many of which I am not) give results consistent with that of a wave equation, and waves superimpose. The experiments, of course, get the wave picture by collecting many particles, or by interpreting the wave in terms of probabilities. The electron moves around a nucleus because it has an energy of interaction with the nucleus, and from the viral theorem, the kinetic energy equals the total energy, but of opposite sign. if it has kinetic energy it must be moving, however, that motion is not that of a classical trajectory, not the least reason being that if it followed a classical trajectory it would violate the Uncertainty Principle because in principle it would be possible to assign position and momentum to each point on it.

Well, what you describe seems to refer to the stationary states of an electron around a nucleus (something like a hydrogen-like ion, i.e., an atom stripped off its electrons except one). Then, however the electron doesn't "move", since a stationary state is one which is time-independent by construction.

The stationary state solution to the Schrödinger equation nominates ψ as what is stationary, not the electron. The stationary state Schrödinger equation for hydrogen has a kinetic energy term that is not equal to zero, hence it must move on any normal interpretation of kinetic energy. As an aside, if you accept my paper (Aust. J. Phys. 40: 329 -346 (1987) describing the ionisation and excited state energies for heavy atoms, these are best interpreted as the actual wave functions being superpositions, but of course that does not make it so.

What is the theory of superposition?

The theory of superposition states that when two or more waves interact, the resulting wave is the algebraic sum of the individual waves. This applies to both waves of light and matter, and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

How is superposition related to the famous Schrödinger's cat thought experiment?

In the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, a cat is placed in a box with a device that has a 50% chance of killing the cat. According to superposition, until the box is opened and the cat is observed, the cat exists in a state of being both alive and dead simultaneously, as described by the wave function.

Is the theory of superposition experimentally validated?

Yes, the theory of superposition has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments in quantum mechanics. For example, the famous double-slit experiment demonstrates the interference patterns that occur when waves are in a state of superposition.

Can superposition be observed in everyday life?

No, superposition is not typically observable in our everyday lives because it requires extremely small scales and precise conditions. However, we do see its effects in technologies such as transistors and lasers, which rely on the principles of superposition.

Are there any practical applications of superposition?

Yes, superposition has numerous practical applications in various fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and telecommunications. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.