Surface smoothness of a slowly frozen metal droplet

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a small liquid metal droplet retaining its smooth and polished surface as it freezes, and potential factors that could influence its surface roughness. Density changes and solid grain growth are considered, and it is noted that a liquid metal becomes a crystalline structure when frozen and will not have as smooth a surface as in its liquid state. The conversation also mentions the potential use of phase change materials in optical applications and the importance of a smooth surface in soldering. However, it is acknowledged that the change in reflectivity from a polished surface may be minimal.
timelessmidgen
TL;DR Summary
Liquid metal looks smooth and polished (highly reflective in visible light). If a liquid metal droplet is left to cool slowly and undisturbed and away from oxygen, will the solidified droplet remain highly polished? Or will the freezing process roughen up the surface a bit?
Would a small (of order 5 microns to 0.5 mm) liquid metal droplet, if cooled slowly away from external perturbations and not in the presence of oxygen, retain its highly smooth and polished surface as it froze? What phenomena would influence the surface roughness?

I assume that simple density changes from liquid to solid could cause roughness from differential shrinking/expanding, but I think these could be minimized by cooling more slowly/uniformly, reducing droplet size, and selecting metals with small or zero (in the case of some alloys) volume expansion coefficients. Is there an additional roughness introduced due to solid grain growth on the molecular scale?

Your thoughts and resources regarding this topic would be much appreciated. My general googling of the issue turns up many resources dealing with homogeneous/heterogeneous nucleation and growth of solid-liquid interfaces, but not generally anything about the external solid-vacuum interface.

Engineering news on Phys.org
On "freezing", a liquid metal becomes a crystaline structure and will not have as smooth a surface as the liquid.

Likes timelessmidgen
Thanks! Is it possible to estimate how rough the surface becomes or how much less reflective it would be than a polished surface?

ETA: The underlying reason I'm curious about this is because I'm thinking about possible optical applications of phase change materials. Ultimately I'm curious about a simple metal droplet temperature-dependent reflector, and how much of a change in reflectivity might be reliably seen over many freeze-melt cycles. An accurate number would, I suspect, require detailed numerical simulation of a particular material. Nonetheless I would be curious to know if there is even an order-of-magnitude estimate (like, "the freshly solidified droplet will be about 20% less reflective than a polished surface" or "the freshly solidified droplet will be about 0.2% less reflective than a polished surface")

Last edited:
Just as a macro example, common Tin-Lead solder used in electronic asembly, when left to cool undisturbed from molten has a quite smooth shiny surface.

If it is mechanically disturbed when near its solidification temperature it flash-freezes and has a visually obvious crystalline surface.

A non-shiny surface on a solder joint qualifies as an instant Quality Control failure, and rework.

Likes timelessmidgen
Tom.G said:
Just as a macro example, common Tin-Lead solder used in electronic asembly, when left to cool undisturbed from molten has a quite smooth shiny surface.

If it is mechanically disturbed when near its solidification temperature it flash-freezes and has a visually obvious crystalline surface.

A non-shiny surface on a solder joint qualifies as an instant Quality Control failure, and rework.
Ok interesting, thanks! An example that the change in reflectivity might be very slight.

Tom.G said:
HA ! 50 years ago I would have though of that right away. Thanks for the reminder.

1. What is surface smoothness?

Surface smoothness refers to the overall texture and consistency of a surface. It is a measure of how rough or smooth a surface appears or feels.

2. How is surface smoothness of a metal droplet measured?

The surface smoothness of a metal droplet can be measured using various techniques such as optical microscopy, atomic force microscopy, and profilometry. These techniques allow for the visualization and measurement of surface features at a microscopic level.

3. Why is surface smoothness important in a slowly frozen metal droplet?

In a slowly frozen metal droplet, surface smoothness is important because it affects the final shape and properties of the droplet. A smoother surface can result in a more uniform and predictable freezing process, leading to a more consistent final product.

4. What factors can affect the surface smoothness of a slowly frozen metal droplet?

Several factors can affect the surface smoothness of a slowly frozen metal droplet, including the composition and purity of the metal, the rate of freezing, and the presence of impurities or contaminants on the surface.

5. How can the surface smoothness of a slowly frozen metal droplet be improved?

The surface smoothness of a slowly frozen metal droplet can be improved by controlling the freezing conditions, such as the temperature and rate of freezing. Additionally, using high-quality and pure metals can also result in a smoother surface. Proper cleaning and preparation of the metal surface can also help improve its smoothness.