Surveying error: 0.10 degree pin placement on 200 ft lot

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
blixel
Messages
52
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A subdivision lot is 200 ft long by 80 ft wide. A surveying crew made an error of 0.10 degrees when setting the iron pin in the corner of the lot shown. By what distance is the correct pin off of the true corner?

Problem%2014_zpsjucnp3ue.png


Homework Equations


I think I'm doing this one right also, but it's an even numbered problem so I can't check my answer.

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm treating the left part of the image as a right triangle. I'm saying that theta=0.10 degrees, and theta is located at the top of the triangle. So the opposite is the short piece at the bottom, and that's what I'm trying to find.

tan(theta)=opposite/adjacent

Adjacent is along the side, and it's 200 feet.

opposite=200*tan(0.10)~=0.349 feet.

So, if I've done this right, the distance is off by 0.349 feet.
 
Attachments
  • Problem%2014_zpsjucnp3ue.png
    Problem%2014_zpsjucnp3ue.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org