1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surviving a classroom math class? (As opposed to an online one)

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    I'm about to take my first classroom math course and am kind of nervous about it. I'm good enough at math but very slow, this is why I have typically done online maths till now. I could take a week to do something I didn't comprehend. What tips can you guys give someone who is not quite as fast at the higher maths as some of you brighter folks? Edit: it's college trigonometry.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2
    I wouldn't worry too much about your speed, I also learn at a slower pace than some, but as you will probably find, you're not alone.

Turn up to your lectures, pay attention and make notes. When you get home, open the text book to the relevant page and work through the derivations making sure you understand the definitions as you go. Then complete some problems on the topic.

If you have time, take a look at next weeks lecture material beforehand, as this will help prevent you from getting lost in the lecture.

There's no great secret to succeeding in a maths class, just some hard work on your end.

Good luck :)

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks that sounds like solid advice for any class... Now if I could figure out how to make math not make me want to go pound on things.

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4

462chevelle

Gold Member

Try to find people in the class to study with. If you want to get a head start on it, I would go ahead and learn all of your trig ratios. Also learning how to solve different types of right triangle problems would be beneficial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook