Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suspending a winch d-ring from ceiling

1. Dec 24, 2016 #1
    I recently attached a trailer tying ring (3 1/2" x 3 1/2" d-ring with loop pressed into the hardware mounting plate) from a roof truss in a storage unit. The ring is rated for 1000+ pounds. My purpose was a boat motor lifting system. It worked great with an attached block and tackle and was effortless. Since I attached the ring system vertically to a roof truss stud, the ring holding rating capacity may be lower since the weight is now suspended by two 3/8" lag bolts that are attached with a backup plate and compression on the 2 x 4. Can someone give me a reference for calculating the holding power of such a system? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 24, 2016 #3

JBA

5. Dec 24, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Does the owner of the storage unit know you are doing this? You should consider just renting or buying a motor lift instead -- that would be much less risky. Thread is closed.

http://vikinggarageequipment.com/equipment-images/jack_aff_other_3580.png
    jack_aff_other_3580.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook