Switching to physics after doing finance as a quant

In summary, the speaker is a physics graduate considering a PhD program and has apprehensions about the financial aspects of pursuing a career in research. They are also considering a career as a quant in the finance sector, which offers high pay and allows for the possibility of funding their own personal lab in the future. However, they ultimately prefer to pursue physics research and are unsure about the best approach. They also mention the importance of financial support during a PhD program.
dark-knight
hi everyone.
i am a physics graduate on the verge of entering a phd program. obviously my aim is to do physics research. one possible way is to get a phd, do a post doc and then do research. i know its THE ONLY WAY. but there r a few apprehensions i have-

1. to do research u need equipments (latest science equipments are really expensive),
2. u have to lobby for grants and all (this really puts me off).
3. though my family can afford my phd education, it is going to cost them a huge money.

i came to know recently that physics majors get highly paid jobs as a quant in finance sector.
they use physics models to evaluate pricing and forecast future trends.
do u think it wud be better for me to earn really handsome money and then do phd to do serious research without any worries of future, as there will be no additional worries related to money. i want to do things without any boundations. plus i wud be in a position to have a personal lab of my own.

i must also clear that i wud prefer doing physics research and making less money than making huge money and doing something which is completely aloof from physics.
this "quant profession" really seems to offer handsome money as well as applied maths and physics(which i really like)

let me know what u think abt this approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please reread the PF Rules on text speak.

The amount of money you are likely earn as a quant in a year or two is not enough to support a career in physics research.

most students, at least in the US, get some sort of compensation (as research or teaching assistants) when they study for a PhD in physics. basically you get enough money to take care of yourself. was that what you were worried about? (I may not have understood your question fully)

No, he wants to be "in a position to have a personal lab of his own" after a few years as a quant.
Looks like this guys needs to "get real" a bit.

Nobody is going to hire you as a quant with an undergrad degree in physics. You need to decide what you would like to do and see where that takes you. If you are in the US, you were accepted to a physics PhD program, and you were not offered financial support including tuition, then you should be looking elsewhere.

1. How difficult is it to switch from finance to physics as a quant?

Switching from finance to physics as a quant can be challenging because it involves a transition from a highly mathematical and theoretical field to a more empirical and experimental one. However, with dedication and a strong background in mathematics, it is definitely possible.

2. What skills from finance are transferable to physics?

Many skills from finance, such as data analysis, statistical modeling, and programming, are highly transferable to physics. Both fields require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to work with large datasets. Additionally, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills developed in finance can be applied to physics research.

3. Will my finance background be beneficial in studying physics?

Yes, your finance background can be very beneficial in studying physics. The analytical and quantitative skills you have developed will be useful in tackling complex physics problems. Additionally, your experience with data analysis and modeling can be applied to experimental research in physics.

4. Do I need to have a degree in physics to switch from finance to physics as a quant?

While having a degree in physics can make the transition smoother, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer graduate programs in physics for individuals with non-physics backgrounds, allowing you to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in the field.

5. What are the job prospects like for someone switching from finance to physics?

The job prospects for someone switching from finance to physics can vary depending on their level of education and experience. However, there is a growing demand for individuals with a strong background in both finance and physics, particularly in fields such as quantitative finance and financial engineering. With the right skills and qualifications, you can have a successful career in this emerging field.