Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetries and conserved quantities

1. Dec 14, 2007 #1
    I know that if a particle is in a spherically symetric potential its angular momentum will be conserved, but what about if somehow we manage to produce say an elliptically symmetric potential? Will the partical then have a momentum along the curve of the ellipse conserved?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2007 #2
    It should be, because the conservation of angular momentum is from the
    rotational invariance of the Hamiltonian.

4. Dec 14, 2007 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

No. Angular momentum is not "momentum along the curve of a circle", but rather [itex]\vec x\times\vec p[/itex]. There is nothing comparable that is conserved for a generic elliptically symmetric potential.

5. Dec 14, 2007 #4
    I think his 'momentum' here is angular momentum.
    If your elliptically symmetric potential is [tex]V(\rho,z)=\frac{1}{\rho^2+\alpha z^2},~\alpha\neq 1[/tex], then angular momentum along axis
    'z' is conserved.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  6. Dec 15, 2007 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only thing i can remember know is that in case of an elliptic potential well, J = L + S is not a good quantum number, scince the energy eigenvalues will be "mixed" with same M_J etc, c.f The Nilsson model of Atomic Nucleus.

7. Dec 15, 2007 #6
    Thanks for your replies, sorry for the slightly ambiguious question.

8. Dec 20, 2007 #7

blechman

Science Advisor

Angular momentum around the azimuthal direction will still be conserved, but the TOTAL angular momentum will not. This is basically what PRB147 said, but maybe slightly clarified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?