Discrete symmetries and conserved quantities

In summary: I think what I was asking was if this was just a coincidence, or if there was a deeper connection. I think it might just be me who wants to see things where there is nothing to see.
dRic2
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Discrete symmetries
Hi, please correct me if I use a wrong jargon.

If I have discrete symmetries (like for example in a crystal lattice) can I find some conserved quantity ? For example crystal momentum is conserved up to a multiple of the reciprocal lattice constant and it is linked (I think) to the periodicity of the lattice. Can I have something similar for rotations for example ? Do you have any reference at the level of advanced undergrad/first-year grad student ?Thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no discrete version of Noether's theorem. At her times the jargon was even "theory of variations, continuous groups" which already had continuity in its names. Moreover conservation quantities are usually conserved under some kind of (continuous) transformations, not under "hopping around".

Now assumed the answer to your question would by "yes". By which means shall we distinguish between an accidental coincidence and a fundamental connection? And how would it be different from a simple fixed point? There is of course a close connection between crystals and their symmetry groups, but this is only classical geometry, not physics.

• Informative
Likes Dale, vanhees71 and dRic2
In some sense there is a conserved quantity associated with discrete symmetries. Take, e.g., parity, defined by the unitary transformation ##\hat{P}## that obeys
$$\hat{P} \hat{\vec{x}} \hat{P}^{\dagger}=-\hat{\vec{x}}, \quad \hat{P} \hat{\vec{p}} \hat{P}^{\dagger}=-\hat{\vec{p}}, \quad \hat{P} \hat{\vec{\sigma}} \hat{P}^{\dagger},\hat{\vec{\sigma}}$$
for the "fundamental observable operators", position, momentum, and spin of a non-relativistic particle. Since further ##\hat{P}^{\dagger}=\hat{P}^{-1}=\hat{P}##, the system is symmetric under this space-reflection transformation, if
$$\hat{P} \hat{H} \hat{P}^{\dagger}=\hat{P} \hat{H} \hat{P}=\hat{H} \; \Rightarrow [\hat{H},\hat{P}]=0.$$
This implies that a wave function that is initially an eigenstate of the parity operator (with eigenvalues +1 or -1, i.e., and even or odd function ##\psi_0(-\vec{x},\sigma)=\pm \psi_0(\vec{x},\sigma)##) stays an eigenstate of the parity operator with the same eigenvalue, because
$$\psi(t,\vec{x},\sigma)=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t/\hbar) \psi_0(\vec{x},\sigma)$$
and thus if ##\psi_0## is an eigenstate of parity, due to ##[\hat{H},\hat{P}]=0##, also ##\psi(t,\vec{x},\sigma)## is a parity eigenstate with the same eigenvalue. In this sense parity is conserved, and transitions between states between different parity don't occur.

• Informative
Likes dRic2 and Demystifier
Sorry for the late reply. Going back to the example of a crystal, I have one last question. If I have a periodic potential, I find that "crystal momentum" (ℏk) is almost a "good" quantum number: it is not enough to label a state, but it is conserved to within a lattice vector. It is not conserved in the real sense, because we can't write a conservation law for this quantity, but it has similarities with the classical momentum that we know. I find interesting that if we shrink the lattice spacing to zero (we take le limit a→0), since k is "conserved" in the interval [−π/a,π/a] it seems to me that we recover the continuous symmetry (and Noether's theorem). Is this just a coincidence, or is there a deeper connection between this limiting procedure and Noether's theorem and discrete symmetries ? Or is it me who wants to see things where there is nothing to see ?

If you have a periodic potential, the continuous translation invariance of free particles is broken to a corresponding discrete translation invariance of the lattice. If you make the lattice continuous again by taking ##a \rightarrow 0## you restore the full continuous translation invariance.

Thanks for the replies.

1. What are discrete symmetries?

Discrete symmetries refer to transformations that leave a physical system unchanged, but only in discrete steps or increments. These symmetries include mirror symmetry, rotational symmetry, and time reversal symmetry.

2. How do discrete symmetries relate to conserved quantities?

Discrete symmetries are closely related to conserved quantities in physics. In fact, Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry, there is a corresponding conserved quantity. Similarly, discrete symmetries also lead to conserved quantities in a physical system.

3. What is the significance of conserved quantities in physics?

Conserved quantities play a crucial role in understanding the behavior and dynamics of physical systems. They represent quantities that remain constant throughout a system's evolution and can help predict the outcome of a physical process.

4. Can discrete symmetries be broken?

Yes, discrete symmetries can be broken in certain physical systems. This is known as symmetry breaking, and it occurs when the laws of physics do not exhibit the same symmetry as the underlying system. This phenomenon is seen in various areas of physics, such as in particle physics and condensed matter physics.

5. How do scientists study discrete symmetries and conserved quantities?

Scientists use a variety of experimental and theoretical methods to study discrete symmetries and conserved quantities. These include high-energy particle accelerators, precision measurements, and mathematical models. By studying these symmetries and quantities, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe.