System of homogeneous equations

In summary, the conversation discusses three equations and a matrix of coefficients in a system of homogeneous linear equations. It also brings up the concept of elimination and the determinant of the coefficient matrix. The main question is whether the expression given in the textbook is correct in solving for the value of ##a^2+b^2+c^2+2abc##.
AdityaDev
I got three equations:
l-cm-bn=0
-cl+m-an=0
-bl-am+n=0
In my textbook, its written "eliminating l, m, n we get:"
$$
\begin{vmatrix}
1& -c& -b\\
-c& 1& -a\\
-b& -a& 1\\
\end{vmatrix}=0
$$
but if I take l, m, n as variables and since ##l=\frac{\Delta_1}{\Delta}## (Cramer's rule) and ##\Delta_1=0##, then if ##\Delta=0##,you get an indeterminate form.
Is the expression given in my textbook correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:
I got three equations:
l-cm-bn=0
-cl+m-an=0
-bl-am+n=0
In my textbook, its written "eliminating l, m, n we get:"
$$
\begin{vmatrix}
1& -c& -b\\
-c& 1& -a\\
-b& -a& 1\\
\end{vmatrix}=0
$$
but if I take l, m, n as variables and since ##l=\frac{\Delta_1}{\Delta}## (Cramer's rule) and ##\Delta_1=0##, then if ##\Delta=0##,you get an indeterminate form.
Is the expression given in my textbook correct?

It's not clear what is going on in your textbook. To me, it looks like l, m, and n are the unknown variables for this system. If elimination were correctly carried out on the matrix of coefficients, then you would be left with only 1's on the main diagonal and only zeros to the lower left of the main diagonal.

In any event, the solution of a system homogeneous linear equations requires special consideration. If the determinant of the matrix of coefficients is not equal to zero, then l = m = n = 0 is the only solution to the system. If the determinant of the matrix of coefficients equals zero, there is an infinite number of solutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_of_linear_equations

This article at least gets the basics right.

Its taken from a question:
"If the planes x=cy+bz, y=az+cx and z=bx+ay pass through a line, then the value of ##a^2+b^2+c^2+2abc=##?
They took the direction cosines of the lines to be l, m, n and since the line is perpendicular to the normals of all three planes, you get the above 3 equations.

If three planes going through a line, then the homogeneous system of linear equation you wrote has a non-zero solution. The coefficient matrix is square, so this can happen if and only if its determinant is non-zero. And the coefficient matrix is exactly the matrix you wrote, so its determinant must be zero. That what they meant by "eliminating l, m, and n".

Likes AdityaDev

1. What is a system of homogeneous equations?

A system of homogeneous equations is a set of linear equations where all the constants are equal to zero. This means that all the equations in the system have the same variables and the same degree.

2. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous system of equations?

The main difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous system of equations is that the constants in a homogeneous system are all equal to zero, while in a non-homogeneous system, they can have any value. This means that a homogeneous system has a unique solution, while a non-homogeneous system may have multiple solutions.

3. How do you solve a system of homogeneous equations?

To solve a system of homogeneous equations, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. The goal is to reduce the system to a simpler form where you can easily determine the values of the variables.

4. Can a system of homogeneous equations have no solution?

Yes, a system of homogeneous equations can have no solution. This happens when the equations are inconsistent, meaning they contradict each other and cannot be satisfied by any set of values for the variables.

5. What is the importance of solving systems of homogeneous equations?

Solving systems of homogeneous equations is important in many fields, including science, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find solutions to problems involving multiple variables and can help us understand relationships between different quantities in a system.