Solving a complex linear system with parameters

In summary: C(x,y), and it could be done in a finite number of steps if you know the coefficients!Actually, the easiest way to solve a linear system in Complex Analysis is the Gauss Method. It is also possible to solve a linear system in Complex Analysis using the Simpson Method, but it is more difficult.Actually, the easiest way to solve a linear system in Complex Analysis is the Gauss Method. It is also possible to solve a linear system in Complex Analysis using the Simpson Method, but it is more difficult.
iopz
TL;DR Summary
Study the solutions of a complex linear system of three equations and three variables upon variation of two parameters.
I have to study the solutions of the following system of three equations and three unknowns upon variation of parameters k and h.

ix1+kx2-x3 = 1+i
(k+i)x1+(1-i)x2-(ik-1)x3 = h
kx1+(4+2i)x2-(k-3-3i)x3 = 1-i

Obviously i is the imaginary unit.
And as stated k and h are the parameters .

I can't find a way to solve these kinds of system in a "clean" way w/out tons of computations and huge resulting equations.
I've thought about various methods (Cramer's rule, gauss reduction & Rouche-Capelli theorem, just straight up substitution) but all of them still require lots of computation and give insane results.

These kinds of system are present in all the tests of my linear algebra faculty and it seems strange to me that there wouldn't be a "cleaner" and faster way to solve them.
Cause all the other exercises are much easier (in terms of computations) with the right method.

How would you go to solve this? Is there any quicker way?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can say this:
- If the determinant is non-zero, there is exactly one solution for any value of [itex]h[/itex].
- If the determinant is zero, there are either no solutions or infinitely many solutions, depending on whether the right hand side is in the image of the map or not.

Calculating the determinant will give you conditions on [itex]k[/itex] for the determinant will vanish. Whether or not a solution then exists depends on the value of [itex]h[/itex].

because k and h are parameters so it could be hard to calculate. maybe you know what field is defined in algebra? actually k,h are regarded as the "x" in polynomial. you are sovling this linear equations in a bigger field called C(k,h), which means all the fractions of the polynomials (ring)
C[k,h]

graphking said:
because k and h are parameters so it could be hard to calculate. maybe you know what field is defined in algebra? actually k,h are regarded as the "x" in polynomial. you are sovling this linear equations in a bigger field called C(k,h), which means all the fractions of the polynomials (ring)
C[k,h]
IMO, the above is not helpful. @pasmith's advice to calculate the determinant is the more reasonable approach.

Mark44 said:
IMO, the above is not helpful. @pasmith's advice to calculate the determinant is the more reasonable approach.
i
thought that the questioner already know those basic linear algebra method. he is confusing in the sophisticated calculations, which actually was done in the field C(k,h)

graphking said:
i
thought that the questioner already know those basic linear algebra method. he is confusing in the sophisticated calculations, which actually was done in the field C(k,h)
The field is just the complex numbers. It seems obvious to me that the OP understood what the field was.

Mark44 said:
The field is just the complex numbers. It seems obvious to me that the OP understood what the field was.
i thought the field is not C, because k and h could be regarded as variables like "x,y" in the polynomials. maybe that is called "rational function field", sorry for my bad english i can't find the exact word. and the symbol of this kind of field is like C(k,h), as you may know the symbol of polynomial ring is like C[x]

graphking said:
thought the field is not C, because k and h could be regarded as variables like "x,y" in the polynomials.
No, k and h are parameters, unknown, but fixed, unlike the variables ##x_1, x_2##, and ##x_3##. From the problem summary:
Study the solutions of a complex linear system of three equations and three variables upon variation of two parameters.
The problem has nothing to do with rational function fields or polynomial rings, which is why I said that your post was not helpful.

Mark44 said:
No, k and h are parameters, unknown, but fixed, unlike the variables ##x_1, x_2##, and ##x_3##. From the problem summary:

The problem has nothing to do with rational function fields or polynomial rings, which is why I said that your post was not helpful.
ok i got it, you mean discussing whether the det is zero. actually i mean why the gauss reduction is hard to do

graphking said:
actually i mean why the gauss reduction is hard to do
The reason that Gauss reduction is hard to do is that it involves complex numbers. It would also be difficult to do if the coefficients were real and not rational.

Mark44 said:
The reason that Gauss reduction is hard to do is that it involves complex numbers. It would also be difficult to do if the coefficients were real and not rational.
i could agree that, but i want to add: the calculate of polynomials is also hard, even you are doing in some filed like Q(x). just because there is too many monomials. and i thought the calculate of a*b in C is just as hard as the calculate of (ax+b)*(cx+d) in Q...

iopz said:
These kinds of system are present in all the tests of my linear algebra faculty and it seems strange to me that there wouldn't be a "cleaner" and faster way to solve them.

Can you provide a link to an online publication of such a test?

Since this type of question appears on all tests, have you asked other students how they solve this type of problem?

1. How do you solve a complex linear system with parameters?

To solve a complex linear system with parameters, you first need to identify the variables and equations involved. Then, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What is the purpose of solving a complex linear system with parameters?

The purpose of solving a complex linear system with parameters is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations in the system. This can help in solving real-world problems and making predictions based on mathematical models.

3. Can a complex linear system with parameters have multiple solutions?

Yes, a complex linear system with parameters can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be more than one set of values for the variables that satisfy all the equations in the system. These solutions can be unique or infinite, depending on the complexity of the system.

4. What are some common techniques for solving a complex linear system with parameters?

Some common techniques for solving a complex linear system with parameters include Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, and inverse matrix method. These methods involve manipulating the equations in the system to reduce it to a simpler form and solve for the unknown variables.

5. How can solving a complex linear system with parameters be applied in real life?

Solving a complex linear system with parameters can be applied in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. It can help in finding optimal solutions to problems, making predictions, and analyzing data. For example, in engineering, it can be used to design systems and optimize their performance, while in economics, it can be used to model market behavior and make financial decisions.