Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System with big number of particles

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    System with "big" number of particles..

Let's suppose we have a Hamiltonian of the form:

[tex] H(q_1 ,q_2 ,q_3,....., q_N , p_1,p_2 ,p_3 , ......, p_N ) \Phi (q_1 ,q_2 ,q_3,....., q_N) = E_{n} \Phi (q_1 ,q_2 ,q_3,....., q_N ) [/tex]

but the problem is that N is very "big" , let's say [tex] N \rightarrow \infty [/tex] , so to solve the Schrowedinguer equation becomes a very difficult task.... is there a method to deal with this problem?...when you have for example a big number of particles inside a box (gas and similar) to solve SE and get the "Energies" and "Wave functions"?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is why there is such a subject matter called "Many-Body Physics", where the ground state Hamiltonian is a many-body system.

You probably want to start by looking up Landau's Fermi Liquid Theory.

Zz.

4. Aug 28, 2006 #3
    - Yes, probably..although it was more familiar for me the concept of "Density Functional Theory"...although i have watched it in "wikipedia"...but understand hardly nothing.

5. Aug 28, 2006 #4
    lokofer,

This is also the topic of Statistical Physics!
    A book by Balescu (1991) really starts from the first chapters with this full expression!
    Unfortunately, it is out of print.
    I don't know of an equivalent, but there should be some.
    Maybe you can find Balescu in your library.

Michel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?