Taking Discrete Mathematics in August (Help!)

• Thread starter bigk
  • Start date
Hi all,

I am going to be taking Discrete Mathematics in August and my last Math course was about 5 years ago. I am a little intimidated to just 'jump' back into Math especially a course like this one.

Can anyone who was successful give me a few pointers? I ordered the Textbook and will start reviewing, I am also looking in my old Calculus books just to sharpen my mind some.

Thanks

Hi bigk, :smile:

In my opinion, reviewing calculus will be useless here, since discrete mathematics doesn't really use much calculus. Instead, review some algebra and review proofs (if your discrete math was like mine, then you'll encounter many proofs!).

The good thing about discrete mathematics is that it's very unlike other math classes. You won't be calculating derivatives and integrals, but you'll be reasoning a lot. Reviewing your new textbook should really help you. And don't forget posting any questions you have here on PF :smile:

A proper discrete math course should begin with a discussion of logic, what it means for something to be a statement and what it means for a statement to have a truth value. You'll have fun drawing truth tables.

In fact, thinking back on my discrete class, we did not utilize any knowledge from Calculus until the very end of the course. Most of the material required being comfortable with algebra and the possession of an ability to think rationally and spatially.

Thank you for the input! I will definitely be coming to physics forums for my questions. In the past I would usually just search and find my relevant question.

I guess I will start with reviewing all of my Algebra and begin to think more rationally! :approve: