1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Taking Multivariable calc after AP calc AB

1. Jun 27, 2017 #1
    I am going to be a freshman in college and I intend to major in astrophysics. This past year I took AP calculus AB, and I got an A and I believe I did well on the AP test (results haven't come back yet though). This morning I took my school's math placement test, and I was placed into multivariable calculus (Math 221). I had expected to place into calculus 2 (Math 122). Do you think I am prepared for multivariable calculus without having first taken calc BC (or college calc 2)? Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2017 #2
    Re do Calculus 1 at university. I have noticed that students who have taken AP calculus do not know nothing of substance in calculus.

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3
    I have to disagree with @MidgetDwarf. The placement test is presumably written by professors who know what's taught in the calculus sequence and so it should be accurate. To fill in whatever gaps you might have, try getting ahold of a calc II syllabus and learning the topics you don't already know.

If you're feeling particularly nervous, maybe start off in calc II. But I don't see any reason to take a class you already know the contents of.

5. Jul 11, 2017 #4
    I would start with Calc 2 personally. Taking AP calculus AB only in no way makes you ready for multivariable. You will be in over your head. I took AP calc AB/BC and then skipped right into multivariable calculus my first semester in college. It is one of those decisions looking back that I wonder if I should have done differently. I didn't really appreciate all multivariable had to offer when I took it because I think I took it a little prematurely. Granted I turned out fine in the end. It's still something I consider from my undergrad days.

6. Jul 11, 2017 #5
    I'd talk with someone in your math department who knows more about the details of their placement test and process.

From an overall review of your math records and placement results they can tell you if you are barely ready for their Calc 3 or very well prepared.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted