Talent Worthy of Wider Recognition

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Guitar Lead
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
139 replies · 18K views
Physics news on Phys.org
The Nankai Trio. The James Brown fatback beat goes fusion. Numba One on my hit parade.



That drum fill at 1:00 burns me up. Why doesn't everyone do that? They probably will, sooner or later.

Here's James and the Famous Flames doing the original fatback. They say the drummer is Clyde Stubblefield.



Dennis Chambers said that when he was 13 years old he was so good at the fatback beat that James tried to hire him. James wouldn't provide a tutor though so Mom said no.
 
Last edited:
She was at this time 16 years old. It was a contest in which contestants played over the same prerecorded track.

 
Junior High School band. 13 to 15 years old

 
Last edited:
Nankai Trio. Guitarist Shoya Kitagawa [Northriver] burning it up.



They are performing in October in Tokyo in tiny jazz clubs. I might go see them.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc, difalcojr and Hornbein
difalcojr said:
Japanese punk?
I don't worry much about genres, but I'd say no. Punk had a emphasis on being unskilled. I'd say that ebass slapper has the best chops I've ever heard. Her stage name is F Chopper Kago. I once tried to get her autograph without buying any merchandise. She just smiled and said no.

Japanese rock tends to be a lot faster and complicated than the western style. Even TV shows have theme songs like this. Japanese kids are all energetic. No exceptions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and Hornbein
There was a punk movement in Japan that died out some years ago. I like this number, which very strangely sounds like English. Is that just some huge coincidence? I guess so.



I once read "if there is ever an anarchist movement in Japan it will be a very well organized one."
 
Hornbein said:

Wow, Jon Lord, Keith Emerson and Thijs Van Leer would be impressed I think!
 
The Outsiders! A real proto-punk psychedelic band that never made it. Too bad. They're good. Like the Dukes of Stratosphere but real.

 
Not Mary Hopkin



The Red Army Ensemble! Can't beat that.

 


I like the ebass player, Mel Brown. The drums are programmed! Fooled me.
 
These Bandmaid live albums are like being beaten up in an alley. They could show the MC5 a thing or three. Dig those literal fireballs.

1768890826375.webp

Jimmy Page hugging the drummer.
He flew to Japan for the Bandmaid experience.​

These were released as higher-priced limited editions. I'm surprised the band allows them on the Internet. I guess eight years past was long enough.

Punch the CC button to get a translation. These are mostly love songs, as in expressing unhappiness within relationships.

When I got one I couldn't believe that a live recording could have such quality. I ran it by some recording engineers and they said it seemed OK to them.



The band revolves around the rhythm guitarist, who when the band was formed didn't play the guitar. For years she appeared onstage with the instrument not plugged in. Now it's in yo face.

I appreciate that the singer has memorized all those lyrics. These days local bands all use smartphones and tablets as prompters. I once saw a soul singer from the USA in Japan. He relied so heavily on "yeah yeah yeah" "baby baby baby" and "whoe whoe whoe" that I walked out.
 
Last edited: