TAMU MEEN: Phys 208 (E&M) reccomendations

• Thread starter aetayar08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m
In summary, the person is a freshman who needs to take Phys 208 or electricity and magnetism, but is having trouble fitting it into their schedule and may have to take it at a community college over the summer. They are unsure about the importance of the class for their future in MEEN and are seeking feedback. Another person, who is now doing ME at UH, took 208 at a community college and found that most of the material was not useful except for Ohm's law and Kirchoff Laws. They also assure that the class is a standard core class in Texas that is accepted by universities. The first person found the circuit material in high school to be the easiest and will talk to their ME advisor for help.
aetayar08
Hi I am currently a freshman going into my 2nd semester of MEEN and Phys 208 or electricity and magnetism is required. I am having trouble fitting it into my schedule and am currently unable to so I am somewhat forced to take it in the summer. Has anyone every taken it at a community college and if so would you recommend (or not recommend doing so). I'm just not sure how important it will be in MEEN future so i f I could get some feedback on that it'd be very much appreciated!

Andre T.

Edit: I attend Texas A&M so people at a&m or in a program similar or graduated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I took 208 there (in 2003) and am now doing ME at UH. Most of 208 isn't useful to what I've been doing. Ohm's law and Kirchoff Laws were used in my basic circuits class, but the rest has gone unused (and that's the more difficult stuff). I wouldn't worry about taking it at CC as it's a standard core class in Texas that every CC adheres to so that people can transfer to Universities like A&M

S_Happens said:
I took 208 there (in 2003) and am now doing ME at UH. Most of 208 isn't useful to what I've been doing. Ohm's law and Kirchoff Laws were used in my basic circuits class, but the rest has gone unused (and that's the more difficult stuff). I wouldn't worry about taking it at CC as it's a standard core class in Texas that every CC adheres to so that people can transfer to Universities like A&M

Ya from what I remember in high school the circuit stuff was the easiest especially with all the integrating and electric fields 208 teaches. I'm going to go talk to ME advisor tomorrow and that should help me seal the deal. Thanks for the input helps a lot!

1. What is the difficulty level of TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course?

The difficulty level of TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course can vary depending on the individual student's background and understanding of the subject. However, in general, this course is considered to be one of the more challenging courses in the MEEN department at Texas A&M University.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course?

The prerequisites for taking TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course include a strong understanding of calculus and physics concepts, as well as completion of previous physics courses such as MEEN Phys 207 (Mechanics).

3. How can I prepare for TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course?

To prepare for TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course, it is recommended to review and strengthen your understanding of calculus and physics concepts. You can also review previous course material and practice solving problems similar to those that will be covered in the course.

4. Are there any study resources available for TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course?

Yes, there are various study resources available for TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and office hours with the professor or teaching assistants. It is important to take advantage of these resources to enhance your understanding of the material.

5. What are some tips for success in TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course?

Some tips for success in TAMU MEEN Phys 208 (E&M) course include attending all lectures and taking detailed notes, actively participating in class discussions and problem-solving sessions, completing all assignments and practice problems, and seeking help when needed. It is also important to manage your time effectively and stay organized throughout the course.