Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taper roller bearing mouning configurations

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I see that the TRBs (Taper Roller Bearings) are paired usually in 'X' or 'O' configuration. Can somebody pl. share the situations that drive towards choosing a specific configuration? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2013 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Basically the “X” best fixes the axial position and alignment so it is used in situations such as vehicle stub axles and machine tool headstocks where axial stability is critical.

The “O” configuration is not alignment critical since the bearing surfaces can be arranged to be tangent to the surface of a virtual sphere. This positions the shaft axially but it can tolerate significantly more misalignment than the “X” configuration. When the shaft weight must be carried but the bearing need not be in a precisely aligned housing the “O” configuration is used.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3
    Hi Baluncore - I am very sorry for a delayed reply. Thanks for your answer. Can you pl. explain me this:
    //The “O” configuration is not alignment critical since the bearing surfaces can be arranged to be tangent to the surface of a virtual sphere//
    I am unable to understand what is meant by arrenging to be tangent to the surface of a virtual sphere... Thanks.

5. Aug 8, 2013 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Does the attached image explain it ?
    The "O" configuration on the left. The "X" on the right.

Attached Files:

• TRB.jpg
      TRB.jpg
      File size:
      3.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Aug 8, 2013 #5
    Thank you very much Baluncore... The image was really self-explanatory...! I caught the idea... Thanks again!

7. Aug 8, 2013 #6
    //The “O” configuration is not alignment critical since the bearing surfaces can be arranged to be tangent to the surface of a virtual sphere//
    I think it is the 'X' configuration that can ge arranged to be the tangent to the surface of a virtual sphere? I take image 'a' as 'X' configuration... Am i right?

8. Aug 8, 2013 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The effective TRB “bearing surface” is defined by “roller axis”.
    The “bearing surface” is perpendicular to the loading forces.

It comes down to the original convention used to define roller orientation.
    The "X" and the "O" configurations are defined by roller axis. NOT by the roller load forces.

See this attached image. From; Fundamentals of Machine Design. Vol 4, p305. P.Orlov. 1977.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. Aug 12, 2013 #8
    Obviously I am wrong then... I remember I found this other way of defining 'X' and 'O' configuration in a catalogue. Thanks a ton Baluncore! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook