Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tax rebates to arrive earlier than expected!

Tags:
  1. Apr 25, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Woohoo, according to this, my check will be direct deposited into my bank account before May 5th. :approve: (I took the direct deposit option).

The link has a schedule of dates.

http://www.savvysugar.com/1576586

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lame, I don't get mine until the 12th based on my SSN.

Seriously though, this economic stimulus package is complete B.S. I'd rather they just reduced my taxes by $600 for the year.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    I agree. I never liked the idea of the 'bonuses' to begin with. Looks like I won't be getting mine till July 4th.:grumpy:

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    It comes to the same thing. You could just write yourself a check for $600 and save all the postage and handling costs.

6. Apr 25, 2008 #5
    They give something back today, but tomorrow they will take twice as much.

7. Apr 25, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since I didn't get a refund in the first place (which is good, it means I'm not letting the government hold too much of my money interest free), they can't direct deposit. Not that I'm quite clear on where I stand in this whole economic stimulus picture anyway. I'd like a $600 refund, but everything written about it makes it rather vague whether I'm in the group that would actually get it (usually I get nothing since I have no tax deductions...I mean children). If I get economically stimulated, I'll be thrilled to add it to my savings (it's my money anyway).

8. Apr 25, 2008 #7

Evo

I know it's anyone that files a tax return, it doesn't matter if you paid or got a refund.

9. Apr 25, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It didn't sound like that from the notices I got. It had all sorts of weird explanations about income ranges and getting complete vs partial refunds. Last time they gave back money, I didn't get anything...it seemed to go to people with kids and certain minimum incomes and I didn't qualify (or maybe I got some miniscule amount not worth remembering). I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

10. Apr 25, 2008 #9

Evo

I believe that the formula is that the rebate decreases for the individual starting at $75,000 annual income. I know because the girl in the office next to me was worried until she realized for married people it was $150,000 and her husband doesn't work. Come to think of it, I don't know what, if anything I'll get back. :cry: Darn you MB!!!

11. Apr 26, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure any two things I've read about it, even on IRS's site, say the same thing.

It also seems silly they couldn't just figure the formula right into your regular tax return and either factor it into your rebate or deduct from it what you owe, and save a step of processing. Instead of me writing them a check and then them sending me a check, why couldn't they have just sent me a check with the amount I owe already deducted (if I'm due a check...which I'm not sure, but if they built it into the tax return, I'd have an answer on that by now).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?