Tea for the Tillerman 2020 remake -- thoughts?

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
strangerep
Science Advisor
Just recently I became aware of this major remake of the Cat Stevens album "Tea for the Tillerman".

I really like some of them, e.g.,

Sad Lisa: (Very good new version, IMHO.)

Into White: (I absolutely LOVE the new version.)

Others I really dislike, e.g., Wild World.

Longer Boats started off ok, and then went kinda weird...

Your thoughts... ?

Science news on Phys.org
strangerep said:
Just recently I became aware of this major remake of the Cat Stevens album "Tea for the Tillerman".

I really like some of them, e.g.,

Sad Lisa: (Very good new version, IMHO.)

Into White: (I absolutely LOVE the new version.)

Others I really dislike, e.g., Wild World.

Longer Boats started off ok, and then went kinda weird...

Your thoughts... ?

I thought, sounds just like the original, maybe better.

After 40 years of practice it had ought to be better. I wish more artists would do this.

1. What prompted Cat Stevens to remake "Tea for the Tillerman" in 2020?

Cat Stevens, also known as Yusuf Islam, decided to remake "Tea for the Tillerman" to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original album's release in 1970. He wanted to reinterpret the songs with the perspective and wisdom gained over five decades, providing a fresh take on the classic tracks.

2. How does the 2020 version of "Tea for the Tillerman" differ from the original?

The 2020 version, titled "Tea for the Tillerman²," features reimagined versions of the original songs with different arrangements and instrumentation. Yusuf's vocals reflect his age and experience, adding a new depth to the lyrics. Some tracks are slower and more reflective, while others have been transformed stylistically to suit modern musical tastes.

3. Which tracks from the original album received the most significant changes in the remake?

Significant changes can be heard in tracks like "Wild World," which features a more subdued and introspective arrangement compared to the original. "Father and Son" includes a notable duet between Yusuf's current and younger voices, using innovative studio techniques to reflect a dialogue across time.

4. What has been the critical reception of the 2020 remake?

The critical reception of "Tea for the Tillerman²" has been mixed. Some critics and fans appreciated the new interpretations and the nostalgic journey, praising the innovative approach and the emotional depth added to the songs. Others felt that the updates were unnecessary and lacked the charm and simplicity of the original recordings.

5. Are there any new songs added to the "Tea for the Tillerman" 2020 remake?

No new songs were added to the album; however, some tracks were extended, and others received significant musical and lyrical alterations. The focus remained on reinterpreting the existing songs from the original album rather than introducing new material.