Teleportion of particles in Vienna in 2000

• Thread starter lboeckl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the University of Vienna used entangled particles to move the properties of one particle to another. This did not teleport the object, but it did effect the object's spin or direction.
lboeckl
I read a quickie article awhile back on the teleportation of particles across the Danube river by the University of Vienna in 2000. I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with the experiment in order to tell me whether or not the experiment was not so much that they teleported particles the 2km across the river but rather that they had entangled particles and once moved 2km apart could effect spin or direction of the one particle and then its entangled partner exhibited the same effect on it? Thanks, Leo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an interview with one of the researchers: http://www.signandsight.com/features/614.html

I'm sure there's a paper on this out there, but I think it should answer most of your questions anyway (it's all I could find in my quick search).

They did not physically move matter from one side to the other by any means. They did use entangled particles to move all the properties (except location, of course) of a particle on one side to a particle on the other side. I guarantee that the scientist who actually did the experiment can explain it better than me, however.

As an aside, if you don't mind the half-hijack, I'm finding myself posting several links on this site but not quite as many answers (I don't know as much as I know how to find). Do you guys generally find that ok here, or does it work out better to let those who really know type out responses here?

lboeckl said:
I read a quickie article awhile back on the teleportation of particles across the Danube river by the University of Vienna in 2000. I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with the experiment in order to tell me whether or not the experiment was not so much that they teleported particles the 2km across the river but rather that they had entangled particles and once moved 2km apart could effect spin or direction of the one particle and then its entangled partner exhibited the same effect on it? Thanks, Leo.

You need to read these things very carefully. They didn't teleport the object, they "teleport" a property of the object when that property is being measured on its partner via quantum entanglement.

Quantum teleportation is not the same as the teleportation you see on Star Trek.

Zz.

Ganstaman,

Thanks for the clarification and the info! Even though I know you weren't asking me, I don't mind your responding to so many posts, you gave me the answer I was seeking. Thanks again, Leo.

What is teleportion of particles?

Teleportion of particles is a theoretical concept in which particles are transferred from one location to another without physically traveling through the space between. It is often associated with science fiction and is not currently possible with our current technology.

What happened in Vienna in 2000 regarding teleportion of particles?

In 2000, a team of researchers at the University of Vienna successfully demonstrated quantum teleportation of photons over a distance of 600 meters. This was a significant achievement in the field of quantum mechanics and was an important step towards understanding and potentially harnessing the concept of teleportion of particles.

Is teleportion of particles possible?

As of now, teleportion of particles is still only a theoretical concept and has not been achieved in a practical sense. While there have been successful experiments with quantum teleportation, it is still not possible to teleport particles in the way it is portrayed in science fiction.

What are the potential applications of teleportion of particles?

If teleportion of particles were to become a reality, it could have a wide range of applications in various fields such as communication, computing, and even transportation. It could also have implications for quantum computing and encryption.

What are the challenges in achieving teleportion of particles?

There are several challenges in achieving teleportion of particles, including the manipulation and control of individual particles, maintaining the quantum state of the particles during teleportation, and overcoming the limitations of our current technology. Further research and advancements in quantum mechanics are needed to overcome these challenges.