Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teleportion of particles in Vienna in 2000

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    I read a quickie article awhile back on the teleportation of particles across the Danube river by the University of Vienna in 2000. I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with the experiment in order to tell me whether or not the experiment was not so much that they teleported particles the 2km across the river but rather that they had entangled particles and once moved 2km apart could effect spin or direction of the one particle and then its entangled partner exhibited the same effect on it? Thanks, Leo.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2
    Here's an interview with one of the researchers: http://www.signandsight.com/features/614.html

I'm sure there's a paper on this out there, but I think it should answer most of your questions anyway (it's all I could find in my quick search).

They did not physically move matter from one side to the other by any means. They did use entangled particles to move all the properties (except location, of course) of a particle on one side to a particle on the other side. I guarantee that the scientist who actually did the experiment can explain it better than me, however.

As an aside, if you don't mind the half-hijack, I'm finding myself posting several links on this site but not quite as many answers (I don't know as much as I know how to find). Do you guys generally find that ok here, or does it work out better to let those who really know type out responses here?
  4. Sep 3, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need to read these things very carefully. They didn't teleport the object, they "teleport" a property of the object when that property is being measured on its partner via quantum entanglement.

Quantum teleportation is not the same as the teleportation you see on Star Trek.

5. Sep 3, 2007 #4

Thanks for the clarification and the info! Even though I know you weren't asking me, I don't mind your responding to so many posts, you gave me the answer I was seeking. Thanks again, Leo.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?