Temperature of CMBR compared to galaxies in general

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) and that of galaxies. The CMBR is found to be much hotter than galaxies and its contribution to the overall temperature is much greater. The effect of galaxies on CMBR readings is minimal. A paper by Chronos provides further details on this topic.
Herbascious J
I'm curious about how the temperature of the CMBR compares to the light and temperature of galaxies in general. Basically, I'm wondering how 'hot' are galaxies and how do they contribute to the CMBR readings. Does the temperature of galaxies compare on some scale? Do we have to account for the direct temperature of galaxies, and subtract it from the CMBR somehow? I guess my feeling is, is that there are many galaxies, lying on many lines of sight. I can only assume they must have some temperature reading, although quite cool from far away. Also, does the radiation of the CMBR simply pass through the galaxies, or do they effect the readings somehow. Thank you in advance.

Space news on Phys.org
Thank you Chronos. That paper was excellent, and answered my question perfectly. Much appreciated.

What is CMBR?

CMBR stands for Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation. It is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang and is the oldest light in the universe.

How is the temperature of CMBR measured?

The temperature of CMBR is measured by using a special instrument called a radiometer. It measures the intensity of radiation in different parts of the microwave spectrum.

What is the significance of the temperature of CMBR compared to galaxies?

The temperature of CMBR is significant because it provides evidence for the Big Bang theory. It also helps us understand the composition and evolution of the universe.

Is the temperature of CMBR the same everywhere in the universe?

No, the temperature of CMBR varies slightly across the sky. This is known as the anisotropy of CMBR and provides important information about the structure and formation of the universe.

How does the temperature of CMBR compare to the temperature of galaxies?

The temperature of CMBR is much lower than the temperature of galaxies. On average, the temperature of CMBR is about 2.7 Kelvin, while the temperature of galaxies can range from thousands to millions of Kelvin.