Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensors of Free Groups and Abelian groups

1. May 27, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, let S be any set and let ##Z\{S\}## be the free group on ##S##, i.e., ##Z\{S\}## is
    the collection of all functions of finite support on ##S##. I am trying to show
    that for an Abelian group ##G## , we have that :

## \mathbb Z\{S\}\otimes G \sim |S|G = \bigoplus_{ s \in S} G ##, i.e., the direct sum of ##|S|## copies of ##G## , where ## \otimes ## is the tensor product of Abelian groups.

I know that for ## \mathbb Z ## the integers , then ##\mathbb Z \otimes G \sim G ##( tensor over the integers ) by, e.g., the map ##(z,g)\rightarrow zg =g+g+...+g## ##z## times. I know two that any
    basis for ## \mathbb Z\{S\} ## has cardinality that of ##S##.

But I don't see why ## \mathbb Z\{S\}\otimes G = \bigoplus_{ s \in S} G## , the direct sum of ##|S|## copies of ##G##.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Define a map

[tex]T:\mathbb{Z}\{S\}\times G\rightarrow \bigoplus_{s\in S} G[/tex]

such that for ##s_k\in S## and ##c_k\in \mathbb{Z}##, we have ##T(c_1 s_1 + ... + c_n s_n, g) = (x_s)_{s\in S}## with ##x_{s_k} = c_kg##and ##x_s = 0_G## otherwise.

For example, we define ##T:\mathbb{Z}\{a,b,c\}\times G\rightarrow G^3## by ##T(na + mb + kc, g) = (ng, mg, kg)##.

Check that this map is bilinear as a map between ##\mathbb{Z}##-modules. Thus it gives rise to a map

[tex]T:\mathbb{Z}\{S\}\otimes G\rightarrow \bigoplus_{s\in S} G[/tex]

by the universal property of tensor products. Check that it is a bijection.

4. May 27, 2014 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see, every bilinear map factors thru the quotient of the free module on S by the module of the bilinearity relations , and this quotient is the tensor product, so we get a linear map from the tensor product to ##\bigoplus _{ s\in S} G . I can see it is a bijection. This is a useful approach I have seen used in some results. My algebra obviously needs work. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook