1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal Velocity Given Acceleration at Instantaneous Velocity

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a repost of a homework like question. The previous thread I did not understand.
    In the assumption that drag is proportional to velocity, and when v = 20 m/s, a = 7.35 m/s^2, find the terminal velocity.

2. Relevant equations
    The thread stated that the equation most relevant would be ma = mg - kv.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I substituted all know values to make m(7.35) = m(9.8) - k(20), and attempted to solve, but the answer is 40 m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

How far did you get? Did you get stuck anywhere? It is too soon to give a hint, not enough has been done.

4. Jun 15, 2013 #3
    None of that information is needed. The initial question is that it is dropped from a large height. The only information given is the information proveded (v and a).

5. Jun 15, 2013 #4
    Never mind. I solved it by not replacing ma with 0 but by dividing by m first and replacing v with v^2.

In these types of problems, when is v or v^2 used?

6. Jun 15, 2013 #5
    Hmm. In the initial problem, the mass of the steel ball mentioned in the initial problem is invalid. The mass is one if the answer is 40m/s with given info.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=659382

Either way, the work is done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted