1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal velocity with Reynods# and Drag Coeff.

1. Jul 15, 2007 #1
    Hi guys i've been reading on the boards for a few days now and everyone here seems really helpful, so i've decided to come and ask for some guidence on a problem i've been having

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to find the terminal velocity of a smooth wooden ball.
    rho(ball)=420 kg/m^3
    mu=1.846x10^-5 N-s/m^2

2. Relevant equations

I am given a table of about 25 reynolds numbers and drag coeff values, i can post them if it is necessary

3. The attempt at a solution

My approach was to use the terminal velocity equation

mg=(.5)(rho of ball)(v)^2(A)(drag coeff)

to guess a value for the velocity, then calculate the drag coeff, then use my guessed velocity to calculate reynolds number using

Re=[(rho ball)(v)(dia ball)]/mu

Then my plan was to take my calculated reynolds number(which i hoped was the same as one of the reynolds numbers in my given table) and then take the corresponding drag coeff and see if it matched my calulated drag coeff, and if it i would know that the guess i made for the terminal velocity was correct. But i cannot get this approach to work, my calulated Re values are much larger than my table values. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your terminal velocity equation is incorrect. What densiy (and what area) should you be using?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?