Is the New Terminator's Technology a Step Backward from T2?

• Thread starter new6ton
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the shapeshifting Terminator in the latest movie and questions its advancements compared to previous versions. The potential danger of advanced androids is also brought up, with the possibility of them kidnapping and experimenting on humans. The use of EMP weapons is also mentioned, with uncertainty about its effectiveness against technology and potential ways to protect against it.
new6ton
I have a question about it. This is a semi spoiler so do not proceed if you haven't watched the latest Terminator flick, although it doesn't tell the ending so not really a spoiler although it says something about the nemesis.Is the shapeshifting terminator (liquid like) in the movie less advanced than in part II? Why does it need a separate exoskeleton frame which is tied to it? The one in part II doesn't need it. Maybe your answer can be the "spoiler" so put a warning.

About androids in general. Even if they can be made to think. They will be very lonely and isolated, for they didn't have the power to create and uncreate reality inherent in other beings like advanced members of humanity. So someday if we tinker with androids. They are bound to kidnap and experiments on us. so beware.

All in all. The movie is enjoyable. Can EMP (this was mentioned in the movie) really destroy them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you’re talking about a movie robot so asking if EMP will destroy them depends on what the screenwriter decides. the writer could well say that the technology is immune to such attacks or he could have someone try and fail or try and succeed whatever advances the story in the direction he or she would want it to go.

jedishrfu said:
Well, you’re talking about a movie robot so asking if EMP will destroy them depends on what the screenwriter decides. the writer could well say that the technology is immune to such attacks or he could have someone try and fail or try and succeed whatever advances the story in the direction he or she would want it to go.

I don't know how many of you have seen the movie.

Mini-Spoiler about the EMP (do not proceed if you don't want to know anything about how EMP was mentioned in the movie, don't worry. It's not how the android died. It's too easy if that would be the case):

There was an EMP weapon in the movie. The action was so fast I don't know why they didn't use it. That's why I was asking why they acquired it.

There was a movie about EMP called "EMP 333" days in my movie list not yet watched. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8521500/

"After an E.M.P. (Electro Magnetic Pulse) weapon is deployed, North America is forced to live in pre industrial conditions. Anything electrical is useless, sending the country into anarchy. An introverted 11 year old girl must fend and fight for herself while trying to find her father."

So I may as well ask this question. For a car or android. What possible technology can they use to avoid EMP from frying their circuits? In Caprica, the androids were made of human cells. But for any robot or android. What is the possible protection against it?

In any of the Terminator movies. Were EMP used or mentioned? I forgot. But in the new Terminator movie. EMP was mentioned.

new6ton said:
So I may as well ask this question. For a car or android. What possible technology can they use to avoid EMP from frying their circuits? In Caprica, the androids were made of human cells. But for any robot or android. What is the possible protection against it?

A metal box.

If that's not techy enough, then you must reverse the polarity of the EMP with a quantum translator to create a local field inversion.

1. What is the plot of "Terminator: Dark Fate"?

The plot of "Terminator: Dark Fate" follows the events of "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and ignores the events of the previous three films. It centers around a new Terminator, the Rev-9, sent back in time to kill a young woman named Dani Ramos. Sarah Connor and a T-800 Terminator from the future team up to protect Dani and stop the Rev-9.

2. Is "Terminator: Dark Fate" a sequel or a reboot?

"Terminator: Dark Fate" is both a sequel and a reboot. It is a sequel to "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and continues the story of Sarah Connor and the war against the machines. However, it also serves as a reboot by disregarding the events of the previous three films and starting fresh with a new timeline.

3. Who are the main characters in "Terminator: Dark Fate"?

The main characters in "Terminator: Dark Fate" are Sarah Connor, played by Linda Hamilton, a T-800 Terminator, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Dani Ramos, played by Natalia Reyes. Other important characters include Grace, a human-cyborg hybrid sent from the future to protect Dani, and the Rev-9, the new Terminator sent to kill Dani.

4. Will there be more "Terminator" movies after "Dark Fate"?

There is no official confirmation of a sequel to "Terminator: Dark Fate" at this time. However, the film's ending leaves room for potential sequels, and the success of the movie at the box office may determine if more films will be made in the future.

5. Is James Cameron involved in "Terminator: Dark Fate"?

Yes, James Cameron, the creator of the "Terminator" franchise, is involved in "Terminator: Dark Fate" as a producer and co-writer. This is the first time he has been involved in a "Terminator" film since "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" in 1991.