Tex images should be regenerated directly

• Thread starter TriKri
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the frustration of trying to write Tex code in a forum and not being able to see the updated image in the preview post feature. This issue seems to be related to the web browser and refreshing the page. Some possible solutions have been suggested, but the bug has not been completely resolved as it can also affect posted messages.
TriKri
I'm trying to write Tex code in this forum, but it's really annoying since the image generated won't be updated when I change the tex code and press "preview post". I think this is a necessity for it to work properly; if a change is made to the latex code you have to be able to see what it looks like and if something with the new code is wrong.

By the way, my web browser is FF 3.6.13, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I've noticed that if I reload the page by pressing the refresh button (or by going back and the forward again in the browsing history) I will get the new image that is generated for the code.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TriKri said:
I'm trying to write Tex code in this forum, but it's really annoying since the image generated won't be updated when I change the tex code and press "preview post". I think this is a necessity for it to work properly; if a change is made to the latex code you have to be able to see what it looks like and if something with the new code is wrong.

We've just gotten used to clicking the Refresh button in our browsers whenever we change Latex code. Yes it is annoying, but for some reason, this is a difficult thing to fix.

Yes, when I noticed that clicking refresh would bring up the new image it was quite okay. Isn't the problem that the web browser thinks that the image still looks the same since it has the same name, and therefore doesn't reload it? In that case I think the problem would be solved by giving the regenerated image another name, but maybe this has already been tried out?

I've just discovered a new aspect to this bug which I don't remember anyone mentioning before. As well as affecting previews, it seems it can sometimes affect posted messages too -- if you go back to re-edit a message you have already posted, and change the LaTeX, after posting you may find the old equation being displayed until you refresh the page (even if you previously refreshed the preview page to get the correct equation).

1. What does it mean to regenerate Tex images?

Regenerating Tex images means to recreate or update the images that are used in a document or presentation. This is often done to ensure that the images are up-to-date or to make changes to the images themselves.

2. Why is it important to regenerate Tex images directly?

Regenerating Tex images directly ensures that the images are accurately and efficiently updated. This is because the images are being updated at the source, rather than through external programs or processes that may introduce errors or inconsistencies.

3. Can Tex images be regenerated automatically?

Yes, Tex images can be regenerated automatically through the use of scripts or commands. This is especially useful for large documents with numerous images, as it saves time and reduces the chances of human error.

4. How often should Tex images be regenerated?

The frequency of regenerating Tex images depends on the specific needs of the document or presentation. Generally, it is recommended to regenerate images whenever there are updates or changes made to the document or the images themselves.

5. Are there any drawbacks to regenerating Tex images directly?

One potential drawback of regenerating Tex images directly is that it requires some technical knowledge and understanding of the Tex software. Additionally, if the images are not properly regenerated, it may result in errors or inconsistencies in the document. It is important to carefully follow instructions and double-check the regenerated images to avoid any issues.