Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preview Post doesn't show tex formatted images

1. Dec 24, 2005 #1
    "Preview Post" doesn't show tex formatted images

Merry Christmas!

I guess everyone here has this problem, but somehow I cannot find this problem in this forum.

I like tex formatting feature of these fora. When I post a message with tex tags, at first I hit "Preview Post" to try to see my tex formats are correct or not. However at this time, tex tag doesn't work; All I see is "Latex graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment" message and it won't reload itself. "Reload" button on my browser doesn't work, either. So I have to post a message whether my tex formulae may be correct or not, and edit it afterwards.
    Is this normal? I use mozilla (seamonkey) on Linux. Is other browser fine? I tried with opera on Linux, but in vain too.

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

At this time the preview function is not enabled for LaTex.
  4. Dec 24, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the quick repy. It explains all!
  5. Dec 24, 2005 #4
    I use Mozilla Firefox. Same problem. I am just testing the following here.

[itex] \gamma = \frac{1}{1-v^2/c^2}[/itex]

6. Dec 24, 2005 #5
    Ok. It works although I can't see it in preview. But I remember sevaral months ago we were able to preview Latex too. At that time I was using Internet Explorer. That makes me wonder if it is the browser that gives this problem.

"At this time the preview function is not enabled for LaTex" So how come we were able to do it (may be an year ago)?
  7. Dec 24, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

It's not a problem, as explained, it is not a feature that is available, and this isn't the appropriate place to "test" LaTex.

It was available then, it's not available now.
  8. Dec 26, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That function was lost when PF was upgraded back in...um...when was that? September? It's not just a matter of checking a box to turn on a feature, so requires some work to fix. I think Greg is working on it...it's on his to-do list (along with a long list of other things, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting).
  9. Dec 26, 2005 #8
    I see. I hope it'll be fixed soon :smile: Fortunately in many cases replies are not posted so soon and I don't have to mind it right now.
  10. Dec 26, 2005 #9
    That explains it. Thanks for replying.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?