Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Text descenders lost in post headings

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I'm seeing posts by "Greq Bernhardt" and "Borq" (q instead of g) because the descenders on the text in the post headings are getting lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Me too.

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

DataGG

Gold Member

testing

EDIT: Oh, I've capitalized G's.

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4
    Nice catch! I'll look into it

6. Sep 21, 2014 #5
    I think the line-height may be too small for class .nodeLastPost. It's currently 14px but the computed font-size is 14.3px with my current font settings.

7. Sep 21, 2014 #6
    Code (Text):
     .nodeLastPost
    {
      height: auto;
      line-height: normal;
    }
    That resolves the issue at my end.

I hope we're talking about the same problem...
    2e55bnc.jpg

8. Sep 21, 2014 #7
    It's a little better now. Jimmy I think they are referring to the username in posts. Does anyone else see what Jimmy does in the forum list?

9. Sep 21, 2014 #8
    Sorry, Greg. I thought that might have been a different issue. Didn't mean to heap more problems on the pile.

I think I'll wait a week or two before posting about forum problems. :)

10. Sep 21, 2014 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

These look OK here for me.

11. Sep 21, 2014 #10
    Thanks, Borek.

Greg, it's not really a big issue for me right now. I'll just hold off on posting feedback until things settle down. Thanks!

12. Sep 21, 2014 #11

TumblingDice

Gold Member

It was the username that I see/saw. :confused: I can also see the height change you made, and think I understand what you're dealing with.

The usernames were originally vertically centered perfectly, albeit the text descenders. I think you increased the line-height. Been there, done that. I now see a wee bit more of the descenders - enough to know that a 'g' isn't a 'q'... But the overall result is fighting back - the text is no longer vertically centered. <sigh>

Greg, I know this involves a style adjustment, and... On rare instances, I've resorted to using a sledgehammer, and enter a negative value for a margin style to get the 'human aesthetics' to triumph over what the browsers think is correct. Whatever actions you may take to win the battle, I promise to check IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and anything else you need as a good soldier. It's great to know I'll see an Alert whenever you post back!

13. Sep 22, 2014 #12

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I'm now seeing more of the descenders on the user names but they are still usually truncated a bit. The amount of truncation varies with zoom level, so I guess there may be some rounding effects involved. I'm using Chrome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook