The best edition of Fraleigh's Abstract Algebra?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
Truecrimson
Messages
262
Reaction score
86
I'm going to buy A First Course in Abstract Algebra by Fraleigh. I've looked at 6th and 7th ed. 6th doesn't have a section on homology groups, but 7th does. From what I found from other threads here, 4th also has homology groups, and 3rd is at least good on group actions. (I haven't got to group actions yet.)

It is well known for some textbooks that the older editions are better. What about Fraleigh?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Homology is usually covered in the first algebraic topology course, not in undergrad algebra, so I would not worry if a book covers homology or not.

I doubt there are great difference between the 6th and 7th editions, you could even get the 3rd or 4th or 5th (but not 2nd or 1st), whichever you find the cheapest.