The Center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

In summary: Therefore, they are much larger and have a much stronger gravitational pull. This is what makes them different from smaller black holes found in other areas of the galaxy. In summary, the center of our galaxy, the Milky Way, contains a supermassive black hole, which is surrounded by a star cluster. This information comes from observations at gamma ray, hard X-ray, infrared, sub-millimetre and radio wavelengths, as interstellar dust prevents us from observing it with visible light. The black hole at the center of our galaxy differs from smaller black holes found elsewhere in the galaxy because of its massive size and strong gravitational pull. This is also true for other galaxies, where the central black hole is typically much larger than those found in other areas
Goatman
I am unsure on what exactly is at the center of the galaxy. I looked up some articles but some stated that scientists are unsure.

Space news on Phys.org
Goatman said:
I am unsure on what exactly is at the center of the galaxy. I looked up some articles but some stated that scientists are unsure.
I'm pretty sure there is a supermassive black hole at the center. Do you have a reference saying otherwise?

I also heard of there being a star cluster which maybe proves why it is so bright in the center

Goatman said:
I also heard of there being a star cluster which maybe proves why it is so bright in the center
Do you have a reference?

It also says there is strong evidence for a supermassive black hole at the center. And it goes on to say...

"Because of interstellar dust along the line of sight, the Galactic Center cannot be studied at visible, ultraviolet or soft X-ray wavelengths. The available information about the Galactic Center comes from observations at gamma ray, hard X-ray, infrared, sub-millimetre and radio wavelengths."

So we can still observe it, but not with visible light.

Goatman said:

Scientists are confident that there is both a supermassive black hole near the center of the galaxy and that there are many other stars in the same region. The wikipedia article gives a good overview of our current knowledge about the galactic center. Is there anything in particular that you don't understand?

so how does this black hole function within the center?

Goatman said:
so how does this black hole function within the center?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "function" in this context?

meaning how does this black hole (in the center) differ from other black holes that apeear in space

Goatman said:
meaning how does this black hole (in the center) differ from other black holes that apeear in space

Well, other galaxies also have supermassive black holes in their centers, and there are also smaller black holes spread around the galaxy and in other galaxies. Other than the specific mass, the only differences would be that our is located in the center of our galaxy and other aren't.

Goatman said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center
This is the wikipedia article
It states that we can not observe the center because of "interstellar dust"
There's an extremely massive and compact object (black hole) that has entire stars orbiting it like they were tiny planets. This video is a great visual:

Likes Rubidium_71
Drakkith said:
Other than the specific mass, the only differences would be that our is located in the center of our galaxy and other aren't.
And rotation (or lack of rotation) of the BH could also be a difference.

So not only in our Milky Way galaxy is there is a supermassive black hole in the center, it seems that most galaxies do,
As well as that, the center is also crowded with lots of other star systems, and again most galaxies are like that.
Outside of the center there can be stellar mass black holes, but the SMBH in a galaxy is a very different creature, and there is only one in a typical galaxy.
There could be two after a galaxy collision, but those are expected to merge eventually

rootone said:
There could be two after a galaxy collision, but those are expected to merge eventually
Is that what LIGO detected last year, or was it just two rogue black holes colliding?

Comeback City said:
Is that what LIGO detected last year, or was it just two rogue black holes colliding?

They were black holes of around 29 and 36 solar masses each.

Drakkith said:
They were black holes of around 29 and 36 solar masses each.
For contrast, the black holes at the centers of galaxies typically have masses of millions to billions of solar masses.

What is the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

The center of the Milky Way Galaxy is a region in space that is located approximately 26,000 light years away from Earth. It is also known as the Galactic Center and is home to a supermassive black hole called Sagittarius A*.

How big is the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

The center of the Milky Way Galaxy has a diameter of approximately 10,000 light years. It is estimated to contain more than 10 billion stars and a significant amount of gas and dust.

What is the significance of the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

The center of the Milky Way Galaxy is significant because it is the central point around which our galaxy rotates. It is also the location of intense star formation and contains some of the oldest stars in the galaxy.

Can we see the center of the Milky Way Galaxy from Earth?

Unfortunately, we cannot see the center of the Milky Way Galaxy from Earth with the naked eye. This is because it is obscured by dust and gas in the galaxy's spiral arms. However, it can be observed with telescopes and other advanced instruments.

Is it possible to visit the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

At this time, it is not possible for humans to physically visit the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. The distance and extreme conditions make it impossible for our current technology. However, scientists continue to study and learn more about this fascinating region through remote observations and data analysis.