Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Coming Hornet Apocalypse

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    Go here to see the horrible picture:
    http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slices/asian-giant-hornets-worst-thing-world

Apparently these are real. Wiki has an article about them, anyway.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2

FlexGunship

Gold Member

This ruined my day. Flying, stinging insects are my only irrational fear. I just got an adrenaline rush from looking at that picture. If they make it to New England, I authorize anyone to euthanize me preemptively.

4. Oct 3, 2013 #3

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I've done some research. They can be killed by heating them to 115 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm officially in favor of ramping up global warming.

5. Oct 3, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Those don't scare me that much. What scares me are a new invader to the southern US. It's a tiny, tiny little ant. I haven't seen a single active fire ant mound for over six months. This new invasive species that some call "crazy ants" have chased the older invasive fire ants away.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5
    Looking at those things...I'd say that's a rational fear if ever there was one.

7. Oct 3, 2013 #6

FlexGunship

Gold Member

You clearly don't know what to be scared of.

The ant likes sweet plants like honeydew. The hornet drinks the blood of the innocent.

(sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasberry_crazy_ant)

8. Oct 3, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Crazy ants feed on *anything*. They are omnivores. I've seen on one of my walks with my dogs a horde of crazy ants eating a still-alive water moccasin from the inside out. *That* gave me the heeby-jeebies. They eat electrical components. They invade houses. Nothing kills them.

9. Oct 3, 2013 #8

FlexGunship

Gold Member

But...

http://www.blogcdn.com/travel.aol.co.uk/media/2013/09/xhornet1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.IiEQnn1akp.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Oct 6, 2013 #9
    Beedrills are real....

11. Oct 6, 2013 #10

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  12. Oct 6, 2013 #11
    I have been very seeing small little ants for several years now. The first time I really noticed them they were devouring a pack rat bit by tiny bit. I had caught the rat one night in a trap and before I checked the trap the next morning the ants were totally covering it.

I let the situation go just to see the outcome. It was obvious that the ants were entering every orifice of the rat and also eating it from the inside out. There was no odor even on the second day, and definitely no flies or maggots.

By the end of the second day there was nothing left but fur and bones.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  13. Oct 7, 2013 #12

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I'm buying Pokeballs as we speak.

14. Oct 7, 2013 #13
    You wanna dance, hornets? Let's dance.

15. Oct 8, 2013 #14
    You dance with the Hornet, I will handle the Wasp...

wasp-in-the-avengers.jpg

16. Oct 8, 2013 #15
  17. Oct 9, 2013 #16

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I want to stress that's it's very important to me that I never see one of these hornets in person.

18. Oct 9, 2013 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't want the hornets or the ants...thankyouverymuch.

19. Oct 9, 2013 #18

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We have bees, wasps, hornets, fire ants, blister beetles, asp caterpillars, scorpions, centipedes, Texas brown tarantulas, banana spiders, black widows, brown recluses, rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, coral snakes, sting rays, jellyfish, and Portuguese man–of–wars.

What's one more poisonous pest?

20. Oct 9, 2013 #19
    Here's the good news:

So, you're not likely to incur their wrath unless you're already messing with a hornet's nest, a bee hive, or trying to catch a preying mantis.

The average yellow jacket is much easier to fall afoul of: they are attracted to anything sweet and tend to cloud around garbage cans where there are pop cups, fruit rinds, and candy wrappers.

Japanese honey bees, incidentally, have developed a way to kill the giant hornet. American honey bees lack this tactic.

http://ferrebeekeeper.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/the-worlds-largest-hornet/

21. Oct 9, 2013 #20
    Fascinating link zoobyshoe. Thanks much, my grandson will love this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook