1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The components of Vector A are given as follows

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The components of Vector A are given as follows

Ax=+3.9

Ay=-4

The angle measured counterclockwise from the x-axis to vector A , in degrees, is closest to:

2. Relevant equations
    arctan(y/x)= theta

3. The attempt at a solution

Hey guys, I got the answer doing Arctan (-4/3.9) +360

My question is how do we know to add 360? Do we always add 360 when it is counterclockwise to the x-axis? and what about if they asked if it was clockwise to the x axis or vica versa for the Y axis, would we have to treat it any different.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Personally, I would make a sketch to see what quadrant the vector is in. Then add 90, 180 or 270 degrees to whatever the calculator said in order to get the angle in the correct quadrant.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    Would it have anything to do since Tan is positive in quadrant four they add 360 to get an answer in quadrant four?

5. Jan 16, 2012 #4
    The xy coordinates/components gave you a line in the 4th quadrant. In a calculator, arctan will always produce an angle between ∏/2 and -∏/2. Thus, the arctan in a calculator can not produce an angle greater than 90 degrees, so if your line is in the 4 quadrant, arctan in a calculator will provide the angle between 90 and -90. And that happens to be a negative angle. If you want the positive version of that angle, you will have to go around like a clock one full turn to get the other angle that matches the position of your line.

If that didn't make sense, im sorry and don't worry, someone will come by and provide a clearer explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook