The Dangers of Overrating: Why It's Worse Than Underestimating

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Lisa!
Gold Member
Messages
672
Reaction score
96
which 1 is worse?
As for me I think overrating is worse. At least when people underestimate your abilities, you have the chance to try hard to prove them wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If something is overrated, it's not good.
 
Rach3 said:
People misoverrate me. :biggrin:

As opposed to when people "misunderestimated" Bush? :smile:
 
Think I overestimating than worst underestimating.
 
If you underestimate how much something is overrated, your estimate is less than others. If you overrate how much something is underestimated, your estimate is also less than others. Therefore, the two commute.

What was the question again?
 
Don't you feel uncomfortable when people overrate your abilities?
 
Lisa! said:
Don't you feel uncomfortable when people overrate your abilities?
Only when the measure of my abilities is subjective. I used to host open-mike blues jams at a local tavern, as well as play in some blues-rock bands. When someone would come in while we were setting up equipment and start gushing about how great their friend so-and-so said my version of Black Magic Woman, Brown-eyed Girl, etc, is, that sets the bar at a certain level. If they heard that I "nailed" Elmore James' "Can't Hold Out", that would take it out of the cover-band arena and more toward a blues purist. Either way, you don't know by what standards you will be measured. That kind of thing bothered me for a while, but after a few years, I figured "I'm playing and singing these songs for ME, and if other people like it, fine. If they don't, that's fine, too - I'm still getting paid. I'll do the songs the way I feel them."

Of course, it's a lot easier if the people come in with low expectations and you can keep them on the dance floor for hours (less beer breaks).