Explore Banned Book Week & Its Impact on Free Speech

• Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, September 18th to the 22nd has been designated as "Banned Book Week" in the US since 1982. This event is interesting in a country that values and protects free speech, but also has a growing population that deems certain books and publications unacceptable. Even publishers and movie executives have practiced censorship to cater to their customers, as seen with the editing of "Farhenheit 451" in 1967. However, with the rise of technology and media, the concept of banning books seems outdated and futile.
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I did not know that September 18th to the 22nd has been "Banned Book Week" since 1982. It is interesting that a country that has such a devotion to and legally protects free speech should need such an event. It is also curious that a country that permits yellow journalism prominently sold in public places with little concern should have an increasing constituency that is deciding that certain books or publications are unacceptable even though they are tucked away in libraries.

Of course, I am reminded of the novel "Farhenheit 451". It should be noted that some form of censorship existed even by publishers and movie executives to ensure that their works were acceptable to their customers. Interestingly Ballentine Books which published Farhenheit 451 edited the high school edition in 1967 to remove the words hell, damn, and abortion. When I was attending high school in the late fifties such language and worse was common among students. I once encountered a second grader from a nearby elementary school who swore a blue streak. Who did such censorship protect?

What kid today does not know as much or more than many adults about the real world? My kids have told me a few things they knew of when they were young. It was scary and I am sure they did not read it. All I could say is that I didn't want to know anymore. When they leave the house they do not need a book or a library to be "corrupted".

Banning books seem ridiculous considering the internet and social media that are in common use or movies and TV for that matter.

Likes DrClaude, hutchphd, Borg and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
I once bought a book only because some attorney indexed it!

Likes hutchphd
While I appreciate the sentiment, this is politics and can't be discussed here.

Likes Wrichik Basu, DrClaude, Bystander and 1 other person

1. What is Banned Book Week?

Banned Book Week is an annual event that celebrates the freedom to read and raises awareness about censorship. It takes place during the last week of September and encourages people to read books that have been challenged or banned in schools, libraries, and other institutions.

2. Why is Banned Book Week important?

Banned Book Week is important because it brings attention to the issue of censorship and promotes the value of free speech. It also encourages people to think critically about why certain books are challenged or banned and the impact of limiting access to information and diverse perspectives.

3. How does Banned Book Week impact free speech?

Banned Book Week highlights the importance of free speech and the right to access information and ideas. By celebrating books that have been challenged or banned, it raises awareness about attempts to censor certain viewpoints and promotes the value of diverse perspectives and open dialogue.

4. What types of books are typically banned?

Books can be banned for a variety of reasons, including offensive language, sexual content, religious viewpoints, and political ideologies. Some of the most frequently challenged books include classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher in the Rye, as well as more recent titles like The Hate U Give and Harry Potter.

5. How can I get involved in Banned Book Week?

There are many ways to get involved in Banned Book Week, such as attending events at your local library or bookstore, participating in virtual discussions and activities, and sharing information on social media. You can also support the freedom to read by reading and discussing banned books with others, and by advocating for the protection of free speech and access to information.