The dawn of the Frankenstein(s)?

• Thread starter Beelzebub
  • Start date
In summary: Canavero's claim that the rats had spinal cord function restored?I don't know if Canavero has claimed this explicitly, but it is implied in the article.I don't know if Canavero has claimed this explicitly, but it is implied in the article.
Beelzebub
Head transplant team reports success in rats
Sergio Canavero and his team, who plan to carry out the first head transplant later this year, say they have successfully repaired severed spinal cords in rats, using the proposed technique.

Italian neurosurgeon Canavero has drawn widespread criticism since announcing plans to perform the first human head transplant. The controversial procedure is due to take place in December. :confused:

https://www.univadis.co.uk/viewarti...eng-gb_20170113&utm_content=1472515&utm_term=

Biology news on Phys.org
and what do you want to ask?

Well about the plausability of it becoming real.

A head transplant would be much more complex than merely recovering from a spinal cord transection.
Besides recovering the connections going up and down the spinal cord, there would also be matching up and recovering function of the peripheral nerves, the vasculature, and many structural features like muscle, tendons, ligaments, esophagus, etc.
These would all have to work for a reasonably independent existence.

Likes Beelzebub
Beelzebub said:
Head transplant team reports success in rats
Sergio Canavero and his team, who plan to carry out the first head transplant later this year, say they have successfully repaired severed spinal cords in rats, using the proposed technique.

Italian neurosurgeon Canavero has drawn widespread criticism since announcing plans to perform the first human head transplant. The controversial procedure is due to take place in December. :confused:

https://www.univadis.co.uk/viewarticle/head-transplant-team-reports-success-in-rats-527564?u=g7Nnk16ewgu1y4qX2NVC+6BGJQ08OW4R4npnBJfJd2jYXQqBLO/p6zFISyuft9z8&utm_source=adhoc email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=adhoc_bestofweek_email_generalmedicine_eng-gb_20170113&utm_content=1472515&utm_term=
Beelzebub said:
Here is the paper published in CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cns.12713/full
The paper is about experimenting with repairing spinal cord transection, not about head transplants.
Conclusions

We show for the first time in an adequately powered study that the paralysis attendant to a complete transection of the spinal cord can be reversed. This opens the path to a severance-reapposition cure of spinal paralysis, in which the injured segment is excised and the two stumps approximated after vertebrectomy/diskectomies.
As @BillTre says, there is a lot more involved in any attempts at a head transplant.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened.

Beelzebub said:
Well about the plausability of it becoming real.

It won't (it have problem just like the clone) (people won't like it)

This topic is very near the edge of acceptable for PF - I'm not competent to say it is completely impossible. The Frankenstein hyperbole in the thread title is not really acceptable, but let's let it pass for a while. If the thread goes off the deep end it gets deleted.

Likes berkeman
From the news link you posted:
Italian neurosurgeon Canavero has drawn widespread criticism since announcing plans to perform the first human head transplant. The controversial procedure is due to take place in December.
Science is not about headlines.

jim mcnamara said:
Science is not about headlines.
No pun intended right?

From the point of view of the patient wouldn't this be a body transplant?

BoB

I did not see that... Oops.

Me neither, LOL.

rbelli1 said:
From the point of view of the patient wouldn't this be a body transplant?

Depends on which patient.
However, a patient without a head probably does not have much of a viewpoint, I guess.

BillTre said:
However, a patient without a head probably does not have much of a viewpoint, I guess.

I would hope by that time the moniker "patient" no longer really applies to the body donor.

BoB

1. What is the origin of the Frankenstein story?

The Frankenstein story originated from a novel written by Mary Shelley in 1818. It was inspired by a dream she had while staying at Lake Geneva with her husband and other writers, including Lord Byron. The story was later adapted into various films and other forms of media, cementing its place in popular culture.

2. Is there any truth to the idea of creating a "Frankenstein" creature?

No, the concept of creating a creature out of body parts and bringing it to life is not scientifically possible. While there have been advancements in genetic engineering and organ transplantation, creating a living being from scratch is still outside the realm of possibility.

3. What are some common misconceptions about the Frankenstein story?

One common misconception is that the creature's name is Frankenstein, when in fact it is the name of the scientist who created him. Another misconception is that the creature is a mindless monster, when in reality he is portrayed as intelligent and capable of complex emotions in the original novel.

4. How has the Frankenstein story influenced modern science and technology?

The Frankenstein story has inspired many scientists and researchers to explore the ethical implications of their work and the potential consequences of playing god. It has also helped shape the genre of science fiction and influenced the development of robotics and artificial intelligence.

5. What lessons can we learn from the Frankenstein story?

The Frankenstein story serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of scientific ambition and the consequences of playing with forces beyond our control. It also highlights the importance of responsibility and empathy in our actions and the treatment of others, even those who may seem different from us.

Back