The end of TVs as a staple room element?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary: Most modern living rooms feature a large flat screen TV. Now with rollable screens o the horizon people will be able to store the TV in closet and bring it out when they want to watch. Personally I welcome this concept as I think TVs as room elements are ugly and distracting. With rollable screens, people will be able to store the TV in the closet and bring it out when they want to watch it. This is a good thing because TVs as room elements are ugly and distracting.
Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't have a TV or a computer in the 'living room' (but I do have a audio system for background music) because we wanted it to be an oasis in the house away from 24/7 media saturation and technology. What I do have is a dedicated media/theater room that's packed with electronics and is sound insulated from the rest of the house. For the media room's main large screen TV I use a front projector with a pull down screen in addition to smaller LCD monitors.
14498741416_5beb552ec5_n_d.jpg
14521839435_0229b9c70b_n_d.jpg

Greg Bernhardt said:
Most modern living rooms feature a large flat screen TV. Now with roll-able screens o the horizon people will be able to store the TV in closet and bring it out when they want to watch. Personally I welcome this concept as I think TVs as room elements are ugly and distracting.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/04/technology/lg-w-robots-ces-2017/index.html

Last time I watched something on my own TV was years ago, I don't there is anything worth watching on TV except sports.
It just sits idle in our living room.

I wouldn't expect that to happen until televisions can be connected to by most devices witelessly. I don't use mine as just a television. It's hooked up to my computer and acts as a console for every piece of intelligent hardware in my house. It's also hooked up to a wii, Xbox, and NES, not to mention the cable box itself.

Greg Bernhardt said:
store the TV in closet and bring it out
and in our case, hook it up to the TiVo (for live or recorded TV), or the Blu-ray player, or the Apple TV (for streaming music or video)
when they want to watch
A bit of a hassle. ?:) And the nearest closet is two rooms away from the living room!

I can see further down the line when everything can be handled directly by the TV via a wireless connection, yeah. But then, in our case, there's still the speakers for the audio. Built-in TV speakers are crap. Maybe if soundbars get good enough to replace the pair of entry-level audiophile bookshelf speakers that we use now, mainly for music, although they also help a lot with the TV.

aodin-contact-us.jpg

1. What is meant by "the end of TVs as a staple room element"?

As technology has advanced, the way we consume media has also changed. The phrase "the end of TVs as a staple room element" refers to the decreasing importance of traditional television sets in our homes, as more and more people turn to streaming services and other devices for their entertainment.

2. Why do experts believe that TVs are becoming less important in our homes?

Experts believe that TVs are becoming less important because of the rise of streaming services, such as Netflix and Hulu, which provide a wider variety of content at a lower cost than traditional cable or satellite TV. Additionally, the convenience of being able to watch content on smartphones, laptops, and tablets has also contributed to the decline of TVs as a staple room element.

3. What impact does this trend have on the television industry?

This trend has had a significant impact on the television industry. As more people turn away from traditional TV, cable and satellite companies are losing subscribers and networks are facing challenges in retaining viewers. This has led to changes in the way TV content is produced and distributed, with a focus on creating original content for streaming services.

4. Will TVs completely disappear from our homes in the future?

It is unlikely that TVs will completely disappear from our homes in the future. While they may no longer be the central focus of our living rooms, they still serve a purpose for some people, such as watching live sports or playing video games. Additionally, as technology continues to advance, TVs may evolve into more versatile devices that can also be used for other purposes, such as video conferencing or home automation.

5. What are some potential benefits of the decline of TVs as a staple room element?

One potential benefit of this trend is the increased accessibility and affordability of content. With streaming services, people can access a wide variety of content at a lower cost than traditional TV. This also allows for more diversity in the types of content available, as streaming services are not limited by time slots or network restrictions. Additionally, the decline of TVs may also lead to a decrease in energy consumption and e-waste, as fewer TVs are being produced and used.

Back