The end of TVs as a staple room element?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Element
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Messages
20,002
Reaction score
11,120
Most modern living rooms feature a large flat screen TV. Now with roll-able screens o the horizon people will be able to store the TV in closet and bring it out when they want to watch. Personally I welcome this concept as I think TVs as room elements are ugly and distracting.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/04/technology/lg-w-robots-ces-2017/index.html
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a TV or a computer in the 'living room' (but I do have a audio system for background music) because we wanted it to be an oasis in the house away from 24/7 media saturation and technology. What I do have is a dedicated media/theater room that's packed with electronics and is sound insulated from the rest of the house. For the media room's main large screen TV I use a front projector with a pull down screen in addition to smaller LCD monitors.
14498741416_5beb552ec5_n_d.jpg
14521839435_0229b9c70b_n_d.jpg
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Most modern living rooms feature a large flat screen TV. Now with roll-able screens o the horizon people will be able to store the TV in closet and bring it out when they want to watch. Personally I welcome this concept as I think TVs as room elements are ugly and distracting.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/04/technology/lg-w-robots-ces-2017/index.html

Last time I watched something on my own TV was years ago, I don't there is anything worth watching on TV except sports.
It just sits idle in our living room.
 
I wouldn't expect that to happen until televisions can be connected to by most devices witelessly. I don't use mine as just a television. It's hooked up to my computer and acts as a console for every piece of intelligent hardware in my house. It's also hooked up to a wii, Xbox, and NES, not to mention the cable box itself.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
store the TV in closet and bring it out
and in our case, hook it up to the TiVo (for live or recorded TV), or the Blu-ray player, or the Apple TV (for streaming music or video)
when they want to watch
A bit of a hassle. ?:) And the nearest closet is two rooms away from the living room!

I can see further down the line when everything can be handled directly by the TV via a wireless connection, yeah. But then, in our case, there's still the speakers for the audio. Built-in TV speakers are crap. Maybe if soundbars get good enough to replace the pair of entry-level audiophile bookshelf speakers that we use now, mainly for music, although they also help a lot with the TV.