The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the Romeo and Juliet problem in differential equations. The problem involves Romeo's love for Juliet and Juliet's fickle behavior towards him. The equations are \frac{dR}{dt}=aJ and \frac{dJ}{dt}=-bR, and several methods for solving them are discussed, including differentiation, treating the equations as a single "vector" problem, and using Laplace transformation. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the underlying meaning of the equations and the difficulty of solving them without a strong foundation in differential equations.
Bipolarity
I've been trying to solve the Romeo and Juliet problem in differential equations:

Romeo is in love with Juliet, but in our version of the story, Juliet
is a fickle lover. The more Romeo loves her, the more Juliet wants
to run away and hide. But when Romeo gets discouraged and
backs off, Juliet begins to find him strangely attractive. Romeo,
on the other hand, tends to echo her: he warms up when she loves
him, and grows cold when she hates him.

So let R = Romeo's love for Juliet and
let J = Juliet's love for Romeo

Then
[tex] \frac{dR}{dt}=aJ, \frac{dJ}{dt}=-bR [/tex]

How might I solve this pair of differential equations? Is it possible? I have only taken calculus I and II by the way so my knowledge of DE is limited.

Thanks!

NOTE: This isn't for homework, just from a leisure book I'm reading. Some of you might know it!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Easy, just differentiate then plug in.

Then it's second order homogenous, which are easy to solve.

Is that Strogatz btw?

Another way to do this is to treat it as a single "vector" problem. Let
[tex]V(t)= \begin{pmatrix}R(t) \\ J(t)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix}\frac{dR}{dt} \\ \frac{dR}{dt}\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}aJ(t) \\ bR(t)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix}0 & a \\ b & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}R(t) \\ J(t)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

That matrix has two distinct eigenvalues and so can be diagonalized.

You can also easily write the solution with the help of the matrix exponential. But I guess that is not what you want.

I always wonder when people start to apply differential equations as model for some situations, do they really understand why the differential equation describes the stated situation. In your example, do you understand why the equations are as they are to describe your Romeo/Julia love story?

Unstable said:
You can also easily write the solution with the help of the matrix exponential. But I guess that is not what you want.

I always wonder when people start to apply differential equations as model for some situations, do they really understand why the differential equation describes the stated situation. In your example, do you understand why the equations are as they are to describe your Romeo/Julia love story?

Yep! I just have trouble solving it.

BiP

I would recommend to google for "linear differential equations" and look for similar examples.
The net is full with scripts about this topic. Without knowledge in DEs it is nearly
impossible to find the solution in this case.

Alternatively, also the Laplace transfom (which I actually prefer) could be used
to calculate the solution.

My second standard question is always:

Could you solve

[tex] x'(t) = -k \cdot x(t) , \quad x(0)=x^0 [/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Another way to do this is to treat it as a single "vector" problem. Let
[tex]V(t)= \begin{pmatrix}R(t) \\ J(t)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix}\frac{dR}{dt} \\ \frac{dR}{dt}\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}aJ(t) \\ bR(t)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= \begin{pmatrix}0 & a \\ b & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}R(t) \\ J(t)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

That matrix has two distinct eigenvalues and so can be diagonalized.

Whoa there. He said he's taken up to calc 2, and you're talking eigenvalues and diagonalization to solve differential equations? There's no way he's going to understand that with just calc 2 knowledge.

johnqwertyful said:
Whoa there. He said he's taken up to calc 2, and you're talking eigenvalues and diagonalization to solve differential equations? There's no way he's going to understand that with just calc 2 knowledge.

Ya that's what I said, but then the physics department at my university was all "meh meh meh, that's just how the sequence goes--take diffeqs and linear algebra next semester, after you've already taken waves and vibrations."

Struggling super hard.

What is "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem"?

The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem, also known as the "Romeo and Juliet Paradox", is a mathematical problem that deals with the concept of probability and decision-making. It is named after the famous Shakespearean tragedy, where two star-crossed lovers make a series of decisions that ultimately lead to their tragic deaths.

What is the main question of "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem"?

The main question of "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem" is whether or not it is possible to make a decision without knowing all the possible outcomes and their probabilities.

What are the implications of "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem" in real-life decision-making?

The implications of "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem" in real-life decision-making are that even with limited information, we still have to make decisions that could have significant consequences. It also highlights the importance of considering multiple options and their potential outcomes before making a decision.

What are some common examples of "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem" in real life?

Some common examples of "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem" in real life include choosing a college major, deciding whether or not to take a job offer, or making a life-altering decision like getting married or having children.

How do scientists and mathematicians approach "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem"?

Scientists and mathematicians approach "The Famous Romeo and Juliet Problem" by using mathematical models and probability theory to analyze and understand decision-making in real-life situations. They also conduct experiments and simulations to test different strategies for making decisions and their potential outcomes.