I with a problem from yale physics open courseware?

In summary: You may recall from physics that there is a relationship between velocity (v) and time (t). That relationship is called the "linear speed law". Linear speed law: v = atThis means that the speed at which something moves is always constant (ie. v = at). We can use this law to solve for v when we have a time equation (ie. we know t). In this case, our time equation is t = 0 - juliet started at x=6m and romeo starts at x=0m. So, using the linear speed law, we can solve for v as follows:
lezoujonathan
I need help with a problem from yale physics open courseware??

Homework Statement

Romeo is at x=0m at t=0s when he sees juliet at x=6m.
a) romeo begins to run towards her at v = 5 m/s. Juliet, in turn begins to accelerate towards him at a =-2m/s^2. when and where will they cross?
b) suppose, instead, that juliet moved away from romeo with positive acceleration a. Find a(max), the maximum acceleration for which romeo can catch up with her. for this case find the time t of their meeting. show that for smaller values of a these star-crossed lovers cross twice.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to start this answering this question, I am trying to prepare myself for my physics class I am taking next semester, i just need some explanation on how to about solving the question.
i was thinking for a) that their time would be the same when they meet each other.

Physics news on Phys.org

Start with a position equation for each person and then think about what will be the same when they meet.

lezoujonathan said:

Homework Statement

a) romeo begins to run towards her at v = 5 m/s. Juliet, in turn begins to accelerate towards him at a =-2m/s^2. when and where will they cross?
b) suppose, instead, that juliet moved away from romeo with positive acceleration a. Find a(max), the maximum acceleration for which romeo can catch up with her. for this case find the time t of their meeting. show that for smaller values of a these star-crossed lovers cross twice.

Homework Equations

i have no idea how to start this answering this question, I am trying to prepare myself for my physics class I am taking next semester, i just need some explanation on how to about solving the question.
i was thinking for a) that their time would be the same when they meet each other.

For part (b) , and the double crossing situation, I would start by drawing a velocity - time graph for the pair. [attachment Romeo 1]

Juliet's graph is the sloping line -she is accelerating
Romeos line is horizontal, and starts a little later, since at his speed [5 m/s] he doesn't reach the point from where Juliet started [6 m away] until time 1.2 s.

The consider what happens [attachment Romeo 2].
The red area represents the "head start" Juliet made, before romeo passed her original start point.
The green area represents the distance Romeo made up while he was running faster than the speed Juliet had attained.
When those two area are equal - Romeo has caught - or as is suggested in this example - has run past Juliet.

As more time passes, [attachment Romeo 3] the blue area shows the total distance Romeo gets in front of Juliet before Juliet has reached Romeo's velocity [so he gains no more distance.
The purple area represents the distance Juliet makes up now that she is running faster than Romeo.
Once the purple area equals the blue area she has caught - or is about to pass him ["these star-crossed lovers cross twice].

Now had Juliet's acceleration been greater - her line would have been steeper - then the time at which the green area equaled the red area would have co-incided with the time Juliet's velocity reached Romeo's [5 m/s]

Notice that these graphs were created in "paint" and could just as easily been sketched on paper by you - IF you got into the habit of expressing these problems like this. The velocity-time graph can be a very powerful tool.

From my sketch I can now see that for (b) the maximum value of acceleration is 2.08333333 or 2.5/1.2. Can you see why?

EDIT: Hmmmmm. the attachments didn't come - i will try again next post.

lezoujonathan said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Hopefully attachments - note that I have deliberately not labelled axes or intercepts etc as these are merely "qualitative sketches" to show the concept.

Attachments

• Romeo 1.jpg
    Romeo 1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 595
  • Romeo 2.jpg
    Romeo 2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 536
  • Romeo 3.jpg
    Romeo 3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 511

Thanks, i got t=1s for part a; and t=2s and t=3s for part b

lezoujonathan said:
Thanks, i got t=1s for part a; and t=2s and t=3s for part b

The answers for part (b) should have been an acceleration value.

With acceleration of 2, those times may well be accurate [your part (a) answer is correct but I have not checked your (b) answers], but the question was asking what acceleration value would mean Romeo only just catches up to Juliet before she continues to accelerate away.

Related to I with a problem from yale physics open courseware?

1. What is Yale Physics Open Courseware and how can it help me with my problem?

Yale Physics Open Courseware is a free online resource that provides lecture notes, videos, and problem sets for various physics courses at Yale University. It can help you with your problem by providing clear explanations and examples that may be relevant to your specific issue.

2. How can I access the materials on Yale Physics Open Courseware?

The materials on Yale Physics Open Courseware can be accessed by visiting their website and clicking on the desired course. All materials are available for free and do not require any registration or login.

3. Are the materials on Yale Physics Open Courseware reliable?

Yes, the materials on Yale Physics Open Courseware are created and reviewed by Yale University professors and have been used in their physics courses for many years. They have also been peer-reviewed and are regularly updated.

4. Can I use the materials on Yale Physics Open Courseware for my own personal study?

Yes, the materials on Yale Physics Open Courseware are available for anyone to use for personal study or academic purposes. However, please note that the materials are copyrighted and cannot be used for commercial purposes.

5. Is there any support or assistance available for using Yale Physics Open Courseware?

Yale Physics Open Courseware does not provide any support or assistance for using their materials. However, you can join online forums or discussion groups to connect with other learners and potentially get help from them.