The final answer to the car battery on a concrete floor (ruins the floor)

In summary, the final answer on the subject of setting a car battery on a concrete floor is that it will ruin the battery. This is supported by a tip from a 1930s Popular Science magazine and personal experiences of seeing concrete floors ruined by battery acid vapors. It is also mentioned that the "it" in the original tip has too many antecedents and there is concern about the effect on other objects such as boat bulkheads.
MidiMagic
People keep asking about setting a car battery on a concrete floor somehow ruining the battery.

Here is the final answer on the subject.

I have the 1930s Popular Science with the original tip in it (but don't ask me which issue). The auto tip was:

"Leaving a car battery on a concrete floor will ruin it."

I have seen three concrete floors ruined by leaving car batteries on them. Acid vapors ate away at the concrete.

That "it" in the auto tip has too many antecedents.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eek! What is it doing to the bulkheads in my boat?

:nb) Oh my, I better get the half dozen I have sitting in my shop, and take them to the recycle facility.

1. How does a car battery ruin a concrete floor?

A car battery can ruin a concrete floor by leaking corrosive acid onto the surface. This acid can eat away at the concrete, causing cracks and discoloration.

2. What causes a car battery to leak onto a concrete floor?

Car batteries can leak due to damage or wear and tear. Over time, the internal components of a battery can break down and lead to leaks.

3. Can a car battery be safely placed on a concrete floor?

Yes, a car battery can be safely placed on a concrete floor if it is in good condition and does not leak. However, it is recommended to place it on a battery tray or mat to prevent any potential damage to the floor.

4. How can I prevent a car battery from damaging my concrete floor?

To prevent a car battery from damaging your concrete floor, you can use a battery tray or mat to contain any leaks. It is also important to regularly inspect your battery for any signs of damage and replace it if needed.

5. Is there a way to remove battery acid stains from a concrete floor?

Yes, you can remove battery acid stains from a concrete floor by creating a mixture of water and baking soda and scrubbing the affected area. You can also use a commercial concrete cleaner specifically designed to remove acid stains.