1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The fractional derivative operator

1. Feb 27, 2017 #1
    I've been thinking about it since yesterday and have noticed this pattern:

We have, the first order derivative of a function ##f(x)## is:
    $$f'(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} .......(1)$$
    The second order derivative of the same function is:
    $$f''(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f'(x+h)-f'(x)}{h}$$
    By putting ##x=x+h## in (1), we can have ##f'(x+h)##.
    So,$$f''(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h+h)-f(x+h)}{h}-\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}}{h}$$
    Or , $$f''(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+2h)-2f(x+h)+f(x)}{h^2}.....(2)$$
    You can check by L'Hospital's rule that this limit evaluates to ##f''(x)##.
    Now, the third order derivative of the same function is:
    $$f'''(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f''(x+h)-f''(x)}{h}$$
    By putting ##x=x+h## in (2), we can get ##f''(x+h)##.

So, $$f'''(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+3h)-2f(x+2h)+f(x+h)}{h^2}-\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+2h)-2f(x+h)+f(x)}{h^2}}{h}$$
    which gives $$f'''(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+3h)-3f(x+2h)+3f(x+h)-f(x)}{h^3}......(3)$$
    Again, by repeating the same process, we can get that:
    $$f''''(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+4h)-4f(x+3h)+6f(x+2h)-4f(x+h)+f(x)}{h^4}....(4)$$
    So, we notice that the coefficient of ##f(x+(n-r)h)## in the expression of ##f^{n}(x)## (##n^{th}## derivative of ##f(x)##) is actually ##(-1)^{r}\cdot {^n}C_r##, same as the coefficient of ##x^{n-r}## in the expansion of ##(x-1)^n##.
    It can be proved that:
    $$f^n(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sum_{r=0}^n(-1)^{r}\cdot ^{n}C_r\cdot f(x+(n-r)h)}{h^n}$$
    where ##f^n(x)## is the ##n^{th}## order derivative of the function ##f(x)##.

Now, to generalize this to fractional order derivatives, we just have to generalize the coefficients, which must be similar to the generalization of the expansion of ##(x-1)^n## to fractional exponents.

I'm not very good with binomial theorem, but I guess that it should be:
    $$f^n(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+nh)-n\cdot f(x+(n-1)h)+\frac{n(n-1)}{2!}\cdot f(x+(n-2)h)-....}{h^n}$$
    , where ##n## can be fractional. Have I done anything wrong?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2017 #2
    You can't have a noninteger number of addends.
    Try to figure out how it would look for (x^0.5)' or (x^1.5)'. I suspect you won't get very far.

4. Feb 28, 2017 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook