How does the Holographic Principle apply to different scenarios and dimensions?

In summary: I think I'm starting to get it, and the best way to describe it is to go through the thought process.The holographic principle as applied to the universe as a whole is sort of like looking for clues that will help you solve a mystery. Imagine you have a jigsaw puzzle, and you want to know what the picture is before you put it together. You know that all the pieces together will give you the entire picture, but that doesn't help you figure out the puzzle. So you look for clues. You notice that the puzzle has a border, and the border has some interesting patterns that give you a general idea of what the overall picture might look like. You use those clues to
Nim
I first came across this concept in a Scientific American magazine. At the time it was nigh impossible to find much more information on it. Even now I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. So I have a few questions.

From what I understand, it basically says:

Every single bit of information in any volume of space can be encoded / written on its surface.

Scenario #1:

A volume of space, say a cube, could be completely described on its surface, which is 6 flat sides.

Scenario #2:

A book takes up a volume of space. So everything written in a book could be described on the surface of the book, which again, is 6 sided.

Scenario #3:

In any given room, everything in that room can be described on the walls of that room.

Moving on...

Usually when they talk about it, they talk about the universe as a whole or black holes. But it was stated that this idea applies to all space. If it applies to all space, that means it applies to any volume of space you choose, be it a volume of space that contains a book, room, planet or galaxy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nim said:
I first came across this concept in a Scientific American magazine. At the time it was nigh impossible to find much more information on it. Even now I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. So I have a few questions.

From what I understand, it basically says:

Every single bit of information in any volume of space can be encoded / written on its surface.

Scenario #1:

A volume of space, say a cube, could be completely described on its surface, which is 6 flat sides.

Scenario #2:

A book takes up a volume of space. So everything written in a book could be described on the surface of the book, which again, is 6 sided.

Scenario #3:

In any given room, everything in that room can be described on the walls of that room.

Moving on...

Usually when they talk about it, they talk about the universe as a whole or black holes. But it was stated that this idea applies to all space. If it applies to all space, that means it applies to any volume of space you choose, be it a volume of space that contains a book, room, planet or galaxy.

What you describe is just a hologram, really.

The Holographic Principle relates to the fast that we expect the information content of a region of space in a theory of Quantum Gravity to be proportional to its surface area and not its volume as we might otherwise expect.

The fact that it is mathematically possible for the information to exist on the surface [according to people who know more than I do anyway] does not, I think, mean that it ever DOES exist on the surface, so use of the holographic principle to arrive at the conclusion, for example, that reality only actually exists as a set of 2D surfaces strikes me as total nonsense.

Personally, I find the whole concept impossible to believe, BUT ... I well know by now that the universe cares not at all what I believe or don't believe, and Susskind knows more physics and math than I will ever know, so I have to accept the concept, but the idea of its implementation just seems silly.

Oh, and just as an aside, your (Nim's) statement concerning the "universe as a whole" is likely incorrect. I think It is the OBSERVABLE universe that is the subject of such statements. Since the "universe as a whole" may well be infinite in extent and not have any surface, the holographic principle wouldn't apply to it. Again, this is my understanding and might not be mathematically correct.

EDIT: to go one step further in my object to the implementation of the holographic principle, consider the fact that a spherical volume of space, say the observable universe, is bounded by a mathematically defined sphere that has absolutely no physical existence, so there isn't anything on which to actually PUT all the information contained within this mathematically defined sphere.

Last edited:
I wonder if the holographic principle is like Gauss' theorem in which a volume integral can be turned into a surface integral.

Likes haushofer and nomadreid
Interesting question, and I was hoping someone would answer it. I am posting this to bring the date of last posting a bit forward to see if this can attract any knowledgeable people.

phinds said:
The fact that it is mathematically possible for the information to exist on the surface [according to people who know more than I do anyway] does not, I think, mean that it ever DOES exist on the surface, so use of the holographic principle to arrive at the conclusion, for example, that reality only actually exists as a set of 2D surfaces strikes me as total nonsense.

If we do exist on a 2D surface, like a hologram, it does make sense of the idea that all information in a volume can fit onto its area, which is really bizarre. The whole thing sounds crazy to me, it's hard to envision an intuitive understanding of how such a thing is possible. Maybe I just need to learn more about holograms... or dedicate my life to physics.

Thinking of another scenario... imagine any stack of information, be it a stack of pages or a multilayered disc. When you add on another layer/page of information, the total amount of information is only increased by the thickness of its sides, since the front part is already calculated as part of the surface of the entire stack. It's really hard to imagine how that can be true, especially with really large and thin pieces of paper.

When I think of things like this, I start to wonder if I am just misunderstanding what the Holographic Principle actually states.

edit:

phinds said:
The fact that it is mathematically possible for the information to exist on the surface

I came across a somewhat decent research paper I wrote on the Holographic Principle for a introductory physics class over a year ago, and part of it really stood out. It came from this idea:

"The essence of the Holographic Principle is very simple. It is all about encoding information from a space in "n" dimensions into a space of "n-1" dimensions."

I wrote that:

"It may sound strange that this theory has been integrated with string theory, which posits 11 or more dimensions, but you can look at it another way: every n dimensions can be fully described by n-1 dimensions. So 2D can describe 3D, and 3D can describe 4D, and 4D can describe 5D, and so on."

I had references but I didn't put them inline with what I wrote. I did find this:

http://www.whillyard.com/science-pages/holographic.html

I attached the research paper I wrote. I can't say how accurate it is at this time, but it does have some usefull links and quotes.

Attachments

• The Holographic Principle.docx
    289.8 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

1. What is the Holographic Principle?

The Holographic Principle is a theory in physics that suggests that all the information about a three-dimensional space can be encoded on a two-dimensional surface. This means that our perception of a three-dimensional world may actually be a projection from a two-dimensional reality.

2. Who proposed the Holographic Principle?

The Holographic Principle was first proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind in the 1990s. However, the idea of a holographic universe can be traced back to physicist Gerard 't Hooft in the 1970s.

3. How does the Holographic Principle relate to black holes?

The Holographic Principle is closely related to the study of black holes. It suggests that the information about the objects that fall into a black hole is encoded on the event horizon, the boundary of the black hole. This means that all the information about the object can be retrieved from the event horizon, even though it may have been destroyed inside the black hole.

4. Is there evidence to support the Holographic Principle?

While there is no direct evidence to support the Holographic Principle, it is a concept that has gained traction in the scientific community. Some theories, such as string theory, are consistent with the Holographic Principle. Additionally, studies of black holes and quantum mechanics have provided some evidence that supports this idea.

5. What are the potential implications of the Holographic Principle?

If the Holographic Principle is true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and how it works. It would require us to rethink our understanding of space and time and could potentially lead to a unified theory of physics. It could also have practical applications, such as in the development of more efficient data storage and communication technologies.