The 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' does not violate homogeneity

In summary, the discovery of the Huge-LQG quasar structure, which was thought to contradict the cosmological principle and the assumption of homogeneity of the Universe, has been proven wrong. Recent research shows that quasars actually support the concept of homogeneity. This challenges previous doubts about homogeneity and isotropy, such as the "dark flow" and other structures like the "Sloan Great Wall" and "cold spot". However, the overall consensus is that the Cosmological Principle is still considered acceptable. A review article on this topic may provide a more comprehensive overview.
Sesh
There was some excitement a few months ago about the discovery of the Huge-LQG quasar structure, claimed to be the "largest structure in the Universe", which was said to violate the cosmological principle and the assumption of homogeneity of the Universe. Some previous threads on this topic on this forum are here and here.

Turns out this claim is wrong. A recently published paper (journal version here, free access version here) shows that the quasars actually support homogeneity as expected. A blog post explaining the issues at a less technical level is

Quasars, homogeneity and Einstein

A one-line summary would be "structures do not invalidate homogeneity; and the Huge-LQG is not really a structure anyway".

Space news on Phys.org
Very interesting, thanks for the link

thats good news thanks for posting that, lol I will have to adjust my thinking on when Homogenous is considered. I used to use the value 100 Mpc. I'll have to adjust to 130 Mpc.

It seems that cosmologists like to challenge their own assumption of uniformity. From time to time some observations are found that seem to indicate significant nonuniformity and we hear doubts about homogeneity and isotropy (the roughly even distribution of matter at large scale).
Examples: "dark flow", Large Quasar Group (LQG), "Sloan Great Wall", "cold spot" or "great void".

After a while the excitement about a particular challenge quiets down and whatever it is seems to be accepted as understandable as a fluke or statistical fluctuation within the context of overall large-scale average uniformity. I don't know much about this at a detailed level, only a vague impression of general consensus that the Cosmological Principle still seems acceptable.

I wonder if there's a recent review article about this. Not just Large Quasar Group or anyone specific challenge, but giving an overview.

I am always excited about new discoveries and their potential to challenge our current understanding of the universe. However, it is important to approach these claims with a critical and analytical mindset. In the case of the Huge-LQG quasar structure, the initial claim of it violating homogeneity was based on a misunderstanding of the data. The recent paper and accompanying blog post provide a thorough and well-supported explanation of how the quasars actually support the assumption of homogeneity in the universe. This serves as a reminder of the importance of careful analysis and interpretation of data in the scientific community. While the discovery of the Huge-LQG may not be as groundbreaking as initially thought, it is still a valuable addition to our understanding of the universe. It is through these continuous efforts and corrections that we can continue to improve and refine our understanding of the cosmos.

1. What is the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure'?

The 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' is a large group of quasars (active galactic nuclei) that are gravitationally bound together. It was first discovered in 2012 and is estimated to be approximately 4 billion light years across.

2. How does the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' challenge the concept of homogeneity in the universe?

The concept of homogeneity states that the universe is uniform and has the same properties at any given point. The 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' appears to be too large to fit into this concept, as its sheer size suggests a lack of uniformity.

3. Why does the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' not violate homogeneity?

While the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' may seem to challenge the concept of homogeneity, it does not actually violate it. The structure is still considered to be a part of the larger scale structures of the universe, and the overall distribution of matter and energy is still relatively uniform.

4. What is the explanation for the existence of the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure'?

Scientists believe that the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' formed in the early stages of the universe, when matter and energy were more evenly distributed. As the universe expanded, these structures were able to remain together due to their strong gravitational pull.

5. How does the discovery of the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the 'Huge-LQG' quasar 'structure' challenges traditional theories and models of the universe, leading to further research and a deeper understanding of its formation and evolution. It also highlights the potential for even larger structures to exist in the universe.