The Internet Danger No One Talks About

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: No wonder I have carpal tunnel!Pediatricians are becoming alarmed at the apparent trend in "pre-hunched' babies, and speculate that natural selection is already at work favoring those with more internet ready genes who are better suited to survive hours a day at the keyboard."Internet Hunchbackism. It's become epidemic. Especially at risk are those with weak eyesight and suffering from internet addictions.
zoobyshoe
"Internet Hunchbackism. It's become epidemic. Especially at risk are those with weak eyesight and suffering from internet addictions."

"Pediatricians are becoming alarmed at the apparent trend in "pre-hunched' babies, and speculate that natural selection is already at work favoring those with more internet ready genes who are better suited to survive hours a day at the keyboard."

http://www World Wide Quasimodoism On The Rise

Ever notice how this is doing a wicked number on your back and neck?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well only if you don't know anything at all about ergonomy. Pick a better chair etc. etc. and you will be just fine.

Ergonomy? Is that anything like Ergonomics?

Mattara said:
well only if you don't know anything at all about ergonomy. Pick a better chair etc. etc. and you will be just fine.
Wow, the sting of your sharp wit in response to my dull, colorless OP is nearly intolerable.

We got this in an e-mail at work the other day...
HEALTHY COMPUTING TIP: SYMMETRY IN MOVEMENT

Optimize your performance and prevent computer-related disorders with Healthy Computing tips.

Our body is designed for symmetrical movements. Performing repetitive one sided movement or sitting in a skewed posture increases the risk of injury. Alternate your movement patterns or rearrange your workstation so that there is SYMMETRY IN MOVEMENT.

HOW TO INCREASE SYMMETRY IN MOVEMENT:

Observe your movement patterns and analyze your workstation layout for the presences of asymmetry such as:

Twisting to look at the monitor

Mousing with the same hand

Reaching for the phone with the same hand

Tucking the phone between ear and shoulder on the same side

Rotating the chair in the same direction when getting up

Twisting to the same side to greet people entering the office

Reaching to the same side for reference materials

Reaching to the printer

Crossing the same leg on top of the other

Carrying work materials or purse/briefcase on one side

WHAT CAN YOU DO:

Rearrange your workstation so that your movement alternates from one side to the other or becomes more in line with the center. For example, move the monitor from away from one side to the center; carry your work, purse or briefcase in alternating hands; get up from a chair by rotating in alternating directions; re-arrange commonly use reference material so that it is closer to the center of the desk; get up and walk over to the printer.

Use equipment which avoids unilateral movements such as a headset for the phone. Practice physical movements to counter balance the asymmetry (e.g. stand up and stretch in the direction opposite of the repeated movement).

The Institute for Holistic Healing Studies and Human Resources sponsor the distribution of Healthy Computing Email Tips.

Copyright 2005 Erik Peper, Ph.D. and Katherine Hughes Gibney.
Permission to copy and distribute Healthy Computing Email Tips for personal use is granted.

does that mean that soon women will find guys with hunches more attractive because they're better suited to high demand computer related activities, and thus bigger pay checks? poor quasimodo should've just waited around, he could've scored esmerelda if only he could've told her the hunch was because of his sucessful career working for an online superstore.

Gale said:
does that mean that soon women will find guys with hunches more attractive because they're better suited to high demand computer related activities, and thus bigger pay checks? poor quasimodo should've just waited around, he could've scored esmerelda if only he could've told her the hunch was because of his sucessful career working for an online superstore.
In the future an attractive person will be called "A real bell-ringer!"

I sit on the internet all day when I'm not doing other things. I like music and I have eaten a hamburger before.

Good thing I go to a chiropractor every two weeks :p

Although no running away from the carpal tunnel syndrome O___O

I sit about two feet away from my monitor, always leaned back in my chair. My feet are on some of my speakers and my head is on my head rest. Ahh, so comfortable.

moose said:
Good thing I go to a chiropractor every two weeks :p

Although no running away from the carpal tunnel syndrome O___O

I sit about two feet away from my monitor, always leaned back in my chair. My feet are on some of my speakers and my head is on my head rest. Ahh, so comfortable.
I love the sound of this, but my eyesight won't permit it. It could be my whole problem is the middle-aged eyesight thing where everything in a comfortable sitting range is in the wrong range for clear vision. Print is always bit "swimmy" and shimmery, and slightly blurred. I always end up hunching forward to be able to read better.

1. What is the internet danger that no one talks about?

The internet danger that no one talks about is cyberstalking. This is the act of using the internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, group, or organization. It can include sending threatening or harassing messages, tracking someone's online activities, or even physically stalking someone based on information found online.

2. How common is cyberstalking?

Cyberstalking is more common than most people realize. According to a study by the National Center for Victims of Crime, 1 in 6 women and 1 in 17 men have experienced stalking in their lifetime, with a significant portion of these cases involving cyberstalking. However, many cases go unreported due to the difficulty in identifying and prosecuting cyberstalkers.

3. Who is at risk for cyberstalking?

Anyone who uses the internet is at risk for cyberstalking, but certain groups may be more vulnerable. This includes women, children and teenagers, and individuals who have a large online presence or engage in online dating. Additionally, victims of domestic violence or those who have had previous stalking experiences may also be at a higher risk for cyberstalking.

4. How can someone protect themselves from cyberstalking?

There are several steps individuals can take to protect themselves from cyberstalking. These include being cautious about sharing personal information online, regularly checking privacy settings on social media platforms, and being aware of who has access to their devices. It is also important to report any suspicious or threatening behavior to the authorities and to keep a record of any incidents.

5. What are the legal consequences for cyberstalking?

Cyberstalking is a serious offense and can result in both criminal and civil charges. Depending on the severity of the stalking, perpetrators can face fines, imprisonment, or both. In some cases, cyberstalking may also be considered a form of harassment or bullying, which can lead to additional legal consequences. It is important for victims to report cyberstalking to the authorities in order to hold the perpetrator accountable and prevent further harm.

Back