Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The James Webb Space Telescope construction

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2

1oldman2

Gold Member

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

do the still images just get updated occasionally ?
    as the timers on the cams are not running ... or do I need some other viewer software ?

5. Feb 7, 2016 #4

1oldman2

Gold Member

It seams to be about one shot per minute if I'm not mistaken.

6. Feb 18, 2016 #5

1oldman2

Gold Member

7. Feb 19, 2016 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Let's hope this one isn't plagued by poor management.

8. Mar 22, 2016 #7

1oldman2

Gold Member

9. Mar 22, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Apr 20, 2016 #9

1oldman2

Gold Member

Couple of screen shots of the progress.
    JWST.PNG JWST2.PNG

11. Apr 21, 2016 #10
    Are those panels made out of tellurium? Looks big... Might detect aliens. :)

12. Apr 21, 2016 #11

1oldman2

Gold Member

13. Apr 21, 2016 #12
    Sweet! Can't wait to see this telescope launch.

14. Apr 21, 2016 #13

1oldman2

Gold Member

Take a look at the link in post #5, I believe the WFIRST and JWST are meant to be used in tandem on certain projects involving imaging the very early universe. :thumbup: I just hope I live long enough to see the results.
    Upon closer reading I see that the primary purpose of WFIRST will be as a Kepler replacement/upgrade for exoplanet hunting, however it will be teamed up with JWST also for imaging the very earliest universe possible.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  15. Apr 27, 2016 #14

1oldman2

Gold Member

16. Apr 28, 2016 #15

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

17. May 9, 2016 #16

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. May 9, 2016 #17

1oldman2

Gold Member

:thumbup::thumbup: That's two thumbs up on the post. I read that the mechanical deployment will be going through very intensive testing as that is the one aspect they cannot simulate in their cold vacuum chambers due to size, they have to get it right first time out of the box.

19. Jun 14, 2016 #18

1oldman2

Gold Member

20. Jun 15, 2016 #19
    The primary goal of WFIRST is cosmology. It will use three of the major tests, baryon acoustic oscillations, weak lensing and supernovae. It will complete at 2-3000 square degree survey with both near infrared slitless spectroscopy and deep near infrared imaging. It was originally a dark energy mission but it's slightly oddly placed now with the major change in design caused by the use of the NRO telescope. It also has major overlap with Euclid which will fly earlier.

Exoplanets were a secondary consideration, it's certainly not a Kepler replacement. The two exoplanet major projects will be a very high contrast coronograph to image large planets and a microlensing survey to detect free floating planets and get better statistics of planets far from their stars unlike Kepler which couldn't do that.

21. Jun 15, 2016 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't see a sarcasm icon in that post of yours.

It's hard to fathom that nobody has challenged you on this yet, V50. The JWST has been plagued by poor management from day one. The initial 1997 estimate was half a billion dollars for a 2007 launch. The current estimate is 8.8 billion dollars for a 2018 launch. That's over an order of magnitude increase in cost and over a decade slip in launch time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted